FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Dematerialize
Hello everyone! I'm new here posting(I've visited this site for the last few months but didn't sign up until today) and I wanted to show you my two little guys.

I found them on October 25th while grocery shopping with my girlfriend at Kroger for my birthday on the 26th. I walked past their randomly placed discount shopping carts and to my surprise there were at least 15-20 little Venus Flytrap pots(Little Pot of Horrors they were called)I was pretty excited(and kind of sad knowing these weren't being bought). I spent 5 or so minutes picking these two.

This is the first one I got. It was one of the few with all its traps looking pretty healthy:

At first I was going to get just one but then decided to get at least one more since my girlfriend wanted to get me one as a gift. After looking for a while I found this one. It had many smaller traps but it seemed pretty healthy and active:

This was taken the next day:

A few days later(Oct 27-28) I found a decent pot at Walmart that had a tray I could fill with water when needed:

This picture was taken a couple of days ago:

Some of the traps have died(mostly on the small one, and two on the large plant due to my cat jumping on the windowsill and chewing on those two-they were moved and they're now safe from the cats).

They seem to be doing alright but not as well as I'd want them to. They close VERY slow and most of the large ones don't even respond to stimuli. There isn't a lot of sunlight outside right now since it's mainly cloudy and the temps are dipping into the 40s-30s at night so I'm bringing it inside. It's already November so I'm not sure if they're slowing down for hibernation or if they're just unhealthy. One of them has the remains of an earwig I fed to it a day or so ago but the trap is kind of half closed:

Originally it had closed fully but today it opened up to this level. It seems to have formed a seal around the bug but I am not sure if the trap is actually consuming it or dying slowly. :|

They're currently just planted in Mosser Lee Long Fibered Sphagnum Moss since I'm kind of broke right now. I had a VFT before planted in the same medium a couple of months ago that died on me because back then I had no idea I couldn't use tap water, and I had it in a cheap clay pot that probably leaked minerals into it.

Anyhow...a few days after I got them I rushed back to Kroger to see if I could buy some more but I guess they threw them out. I was pretty disappointed and sad knowing they were just thrown away to die. :(

I think I will try to replicate the small greenhouse effect they had when I first got them-they were very lively and green back then. I think the low humidity in this apartment might be drying them out too much. I'll post an update later. That's all for now. Ciao!
By kktruckin
Matt would most likely have some suggestions. I am pretty new with the VFT but I got some Lowes death cubes and they look pretty great considering where they came from and that I am new. Here are pics of my Herman VFT
Attachments:
and he caught a bee
and he caught a bee
1026131725_0001.jpg (49.1 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
Herman rides in window of my semi truck
Herman rides in window of my semi truck
Herman new home Aug 2013.jpg (38.11 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
replanted in bigger pot in August
replanted in bigger pot in August
Herman4 Oct 2013.jpg (126.41 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
When 1st bought
When 1st bought
Herman July 2013.jpg (106.24 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
By bigpurp57
It is time for them to start going to sleep, dormancy is starting as November moves on, traps will die and growth will slow down, get some other medium if you like but they should be fine, remember Traps like it damp not wet. Depending on where you are they should do fine outside if temps don't dip into the freezing range, there is a lot of info here that will help you out, don't wait for an answer, find out what symptoms your plant is suffering from and look until you are satisfied, learning about them is half the fun.
bigpurp57 liked this

Order received. Your order number is 1672. I'll PM[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

Hi there! I’m new to carnivorous plants and […]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

primaflora likes to be almost wet. I keep it in sh[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1671. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1670. I'll PM[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!