FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Nats
dantt99 wrote:Might I ask where you bought the thermometer? What part of the greenhouse did you put it? Does it take the temperature of the inside or the plastic? 150 seems a bit extreme.

It's a digital thermometer with a probe attached via a long wire and comes from Fisher Scientific
(but lots of places sell them). It came with a certificate of calibration which expired years ago!!

I had an analog themometer in there first (for reptile enclosers), but it only went to 90, and it was
reading way off the scale!! That's when I replaced it with the digital one.

So no, it did not come with the greenhouse.
By dantt99
Nats, thanks for the info, but is the area that takes temperature resting on the plastic?
By Shes Crofty
I have that same greenhouse, (different cover) and I think it works great.

It seems hokey at first, but once it's put together it's pretty solid. Mine got blown over by some crazy wind last month, and it didn't even fall apart. :)

I didn't like how tall it was though so I cut the cover in half and am only using the top 2 tiers.
By Shimizoki
Shes Crofty wrote:I didn't like how tall it was though so I cut the cover in half and am only using the top 2 tiers.
Very cool Idea, that would also make it a lot less top heavy since its shorter.
By Shes Crofty
Shimizoki wrote:
Shes Crofty wrote:I didn't like how tall it was though so I cut the cover in half and am only using the top 2 tiers.
Very cool Idea, that would also make it a lot less top heavy since its shorter.
Yeah I figured I might as well, considering the frame is easily deconstructed and you can purchase the cover alone for $15 on amazon. So I'm able to build it back to 5 tiers if needed.

Works for me cause I have only a few plants. :D
By Nats
Daniel_G wrote:Nice new greenhouse, i hope it does the job well, and that your plants like it!
Nats wrote: In fact, when I was putting it together, I was sweating like a pig (I guess pigs what lives at sausage factories sweat a lot!!!! :)

Actually, pigs have no sweat glands, so they can't sweat at all, and, instead, they roll in mud to keep cool (Yes, there is a reason for a mud pool)

:lol:
Thanks, I'm sure the plants will love it, neighbor complimented too ;)
Yes, I know that, but these sayings are silly fun anyway, even though they make no sense!! LOL :lol:
By Nats
Shimizoki wrote:150 is really high... like face meltingly high.

I suspect this thing is not very accurate much past 100F, and past about 110F it just goes crazy!!
By Nats
dantt99 wrote:Nats, thanks for the info, but is the area that takes temperature resting on the plastic?

No, the probe is attached to a wire and the probe is not touching anything, just hanging in free space about in the
middle of the greenhouse.
By Nats
Stupid me! I thought the replacement cover, like they sell at Amazon, was tinted to filter out bright sun!
Well, it looks green in the advertisment, but I got one today, and it's the same clear plastic cover!
So it really IS a replacement, not an improvement!!

So now I have to continue covering my greenhouse with sheets and old curtains!!

I do have a small battery op fan in it, but not enough, so I bought another one.
Two little fans should help on these really hot days, and they last 72 hours before having to replace the batteries,
which really is not a big deal, I just have to remember to turn them off at night.

I guess that's what I get for assuming !! LOL
By Nats
Daniel_G wrote:Nice new greenhouse, i hope it does the job well, and that your plants like it!
Nats wrote: In fact, when I was putting it together, I was sweating like a pig (I guess pigs what lives at sausage factories sweat a lot!!!! :)

Actually, pigs have no sweat glands, so they can't sweat at all, and, instead, they roll in mud to keep cool (Yes, there is a reason for a mud pool)

:lol:

I knew that LOL!! But it's fun anyway :lol:
By Nats
I moved my greenhouse so it faces East for the morning sun and put a diffusing cloth on it.
Here is it's new location, on my front pourch!! LOL :

By Nats
dantt99 wrote:Nats, thanks for the info, but is the area that takes temperature resting on the plastic?

No, it take the temp from the probe which has a long cord so you can put it anywhere.

I have the probe on the second shelf hanging down a few inches so it is not touching anything.
It is reading the actual temp of the surrounding air.

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!