FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Smooter80
I received a few suprise Ceph pullings as part of a trade from Hollyhock a while back. This one already had a tiny new leaf going when I got it but now it's really growing. It's my first Ceph and I love it. Thanks Hollyhock!!

The other pullings are still alive and starting new growth. I'll be moving them from live Sphagnum to the new sand/peat mix soon.
Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (211.12 KiB) Viewed 3862 times
Smooter80, Smooter80, Smooter80 and 1 others liked this
By tannerm
Smooter80 wrote:I received a few suprise Ceph pullings as part of a trade from Hollyhock a while back. This one already had a tiny new leaf going when I got it but now it's really growing. It's my first Ceph and I love it. Thanks Hollyhock!!

The other pullings are still alive and starting new growth. I'll be moving them from live Sphagnum to the new sand/peat mix soon.
Looks great! Would you recommend live sphagnum for rooting neps too?
By Smooter80
I'm new to Neps so maybe someone else will chime in. It was recommended to me to use pure pearlite or LFSM/pearlite. It's hard to overwater with pure pearlite but you will need to water more often.
Last edited by Smooter80 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
By hollyhock
Its looking good Smooter80.... Cephalotus are really a great plant...fun to grow and I think easier than their reputation... :P
They do grow kind of slow but it's rewarding to see every new pitcher... good growing.. :D
hollyhock liked this
By Earthy
hollyhock wrote:Its looking good Smooter80.... Cephalotus are really a great plant...fun to grow and I think easier than their reputation... :P
They do grow kind of slow but it's rewarding to see every new pitcher... good growing.. :D
I think the one you sent me is a mutant monster lol....3/4 of the pot is just pitchers lol....in a mound as well...
Earthy liked this
By hollyhock
Earthy
I didn't tell you the whole story about your cephalotus. When I got it the media was completely dry and when I opened it all of the plant just fell apart into about 12 little tiny pieces. After I stopped crying and could see again I repotted everything green that I could see.
Well now you know you are not growing just one cephalotus it's probably more likely a dozen individual plants.... But they all look great. Good growing :D
hollyhock liked this
By Nancy
hollyhock wrote:I have had a lot of help Nancy....or should I say "Doc"?
I am very grateful for all of the more experienced growers that I have met here that helped a newbie with a million questions... :lol:
I think your beyond newbie from what I see ;)
Nancy liked this
By Earthy
here's the updated pics of my Ceph monster bunch from Hollyhock lol:
close-up of the biggest pitcher:
Earthy, Earthy liked this
By Earthy
Sure!!! If I don't kill them all when I repot lol...

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!