FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Cleo_13
One of my cats chewed on Lukas again. He only has two working traps now, but more are coming up and the rhizome is fine. He should recover, right? In the past I've read that cats don't like the feel of aluminum foil or sticky tape, so I put both on the table that my VFTs are on and put them in the center so they wouldn't be pulled off. If that doesn't work, I'll find something to spray on the table as well that won't hurt my cats or the plants.
Attachments:
P1100521 (640x480).jpg
P1100521 (640x480).jpg (47.71 KiB) Viewed 3887 times
By xr280xr
I don't know about the tape, but otherwise this looks pretty attractive to a cat, to me. I think those methods probably depend on the cat. Sometimes giving cats a better alternative (that they prefer more) works better than trying to prevent them from doing something. I think they spite people's attempts to control them on purpose ;) Hope it works!
By Cleo_13
My cats don't appear to be affected by catnip, fresh or dried. They like cat grass, but my mom doesn't like me putting it out for them because they throw it up. If this doesn't work, I'll try something else.
By Maiden
My cats often chewed my plants, or spilled the pots. Just buy 7-8 30cm sticks and make a little fence at the end of your table. This will keep your cats away

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Maiden liked this
By Cleo_13
Didn't work. Grrrr. I have another idea, but I need some more tape. Once it's set up, I'll take another picture. I think I might try your idea as well, Maiden.
By mnwatson1
Yikes, sounds like you've got determined cats! Typically they don't like foil or sticky tape, but it's a highly individual thing, too. You might also consider something like Saran wrap or another cling wrap, because they probably won't like the static-y feel of the material.

I used to have a cat that ate cacti. Like, the ones with the big, white, spiky needle tufts everywhere. I had one of them in my home (it actually wasn't mine, I hate cacti), and the cat got hold of it, chewed it up, and for days I was stepping on needle balls on the floor in my bare feet. x.x; So cats will do anything for certain plants. x.x;
By Cleo_13
Didn't work again- I woke up this morning to find more cat damage. Beatrix has no working traps now, Lukas has only one, and Emil was practically ripped out of his pot (but not chewed on). Emil turned out to be fine- I just settled him back down into the moss. My mom suggested putting them in a hamster cage or something. We don't have one, but I'm definitely going to have to be creative. I think I may have to set up an outdoor setup, as my cats are indoor cats. At least they'd be able to catch things on their own, as well as recover. It's going to take some effort though.
By Maiden
This is the anti-cats system i use. Its very simple.
I just put sticks at the end of the table, and my cats just cant jump on the table. Fix the sticks with clear tape or else.
Its pretty easy and cheap method.

Maiden liked this
By Cleo_13
I'll try the sticks next. Thank you.
By bob21801
Or put the cat in the hamster cage so Lukas, Emil, Beatrix and the rest of he green gang can run free. Afterall, the cat has been misbehaving, not the VFTs! :mrgreen: Seriously, good luck.
By Maiden
thatguymike wrote:just beat the crap out of the cat every time it goes on top of table lol...

j/k
I hope :)

It looks like a moorei hybrid to me, but I can't b[…]

Smartest or bravest spider?

Cool looking lizard. Any idea what it is? We use t[…]

Will capsaicin hurt my CPs?

Watch this video. He jumps until he gets it. They […]

Goodness, that's quite a difference! I'm pretty ne[…]

is this a strike?

it's my first time propagating nepenthes this is a[…]

Hello! I'm wondering how one can tell if they've […]

Help! My VFT is dying

they build up a sugar reserve for winter dormancy.[…]

Water Quality

I use these test strips https://www.amazon.com/g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!