FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By sophie_so15
Hi i'm sophie! I'm 14 and yesterday i got my first ever venus fly trap from ikea, i called it Arya (yes, i'm a GoT fan). I got her distilled water and give her sunshine, but what else could she need? are there any other specific things she requires and do you guys have any tips for me?
By Jds
As it grows in nutrient deficient soil in its habitat,that is why it needs such water,you can use tap water if TDS is below 50 ppm.
By SFLguy
You could test your water with a tds meter to see if it's pure enough, but otherwise, use distilled water because if your tap water has too many minerals, it'll burn the roots and kill the plant
By BrandonH
For the first question about needs the soil needs to not have fertilizer in it. The fertilizer will kill your plant. I use 1 part peat moss and 1 part perlite. There are others here that use different soil mix so it does not have to be the one I use.
By HuxTraps
Hi Sophie, good luck with your little baby. Post a pic for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Big-Jack
Don't be afraid to let Arya out in the rain. She will love you for it and reward you with great growth.
By Earthy
Big-Jack wrote:Don't be afraid to let Arya out in the rain. She will love you for it and reward you with great growth.
yes I agree!! I finally "took the leap" and let mine get rained on a few times this year...they loved it! but then of course after that their need for a watering never seemed to sync up with the rain and I'd water them then it would rain lol...
By boarderlib
Sophie,
Welcome! Other than distilled water and nutrient free soil, and lots of sun. That's all she really needs. Give her those things and she'll reward you with lots of beautiful new growth.
Earthy wrote:
Big-Jack wrote:Don't be afraid to let Arya out in the rain. She will love you for it and reward you with great growth.
yes I agree!! I finally "took the leap" and let mine get rained on a few times this year...they loved it! but then of course after that their need for a watering never seemed to sync up with the rain and I'd water them then it would rain lol...
Earthy, that's just mother nature's way of entertaining herself. She got me yesterday with that little prank. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!