FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By SnapSnapIOM
I just go this reply from the home tissue org site

I was going to use Bap but now ?

Hi BAP hormone don´t work on VTF.. you must use kinetin.
regards
Victor
By SnapSnapIOM
i just made my first batch and i used 1ml BAP :(

Am sure you said on your tissue culture faq to use 1ML BAP ?

I think its going to be a fail because i had my new PH meter in the pan when doing the PH and it slid forward inot the liquid for about 1/2 a second
I tried to continue but am sure the meter is broken i tried to re set it with the bufer solution but it was going abit nuts o well :(

Here is a list of ingredients for preparing 1 liter of Dionaea muscipula medium:

1/2 MS medium with vitamins (one half of a 1 liter packet or 2.2 grams). Most Tissue Culture Techs uses 1/3 MS for Carnivorous plants with great results.
2 tablespoons of table sugar (about 30g)
1 ml of BAP (1 mg/ml) - leave this out for seeds. It's even optional for explants. Dionaea explants will form callus without it.
1 ml of PPM
Agar
Distilled water
Vinegar and baking soda.
By Matt
SnapSnapIOM wrote:i just made my first batch and i used 1ml BAP :(
That's fine.
SnapSnapIOM wrote:Am sure you said on your tissue culture faq to use 1ML BAP ?
Yeah, 1mg/L of BAP will work fine for initializations and multiplications. I used to use that concentration all the time.
By stry67
Ugh, not trying to derail but just realized something myself. Matt, what differences would occur when using say 1ml Kinetin versus .5ml Kinetin (1mg/ml) in media to intiate callouses?
Huge enough to be better off throwing the solution away or ok enough to use it and never do it again?
By Matt
stry67 wrote:Matt, what differences would occur when using say 1ml Kinetin versus .5ml Kinetin (1mg/ml) in media to intiate callouses?
Not much difference really. Kinetin doesn't have as dramatic an effect on Dionaea as BAP does. The difference would be that you'd see a lot more teeny tiny plants with the 1mg/L of Kinetin as compared to the 0.5mg/L once the callus started growing. It would also probably take an extra replate or two to get most of the hormones out of the plants.
stry67 wrote:Huge enough to be better off throwing the solution away or ok enough to use it and never do it again?
No need to throw it away as long as you're OK with taking the extra couple of months to replate the tissue on hormone free media to help get the hormones out of the plants.
By stry67
Matt wrote:
stry67 wrote:
stry67 wrote:Huge enough to be better off throwing the solution away or ok enough to use it and never do it again?
No need to throw it away as long as you're OK with taking the extra couple of months to replate the tissue on hormone free media to help get the hormones out of the plants.
Yea I was wondering also on a similar thought that activated charcoal in the media might help with that also.
By Dionae
I'm currently using 1ml per liter BAP on a Dente traps. Its callusing like crazy....much more than my last batch of .5ml per liter. I'm trying to get more callus growth so I can separate it and have more dente jars. Idk if i'm going about it wrong...just thought i'd share my limited experience:).
Dionae liked this
By stry67
Dionae wrote:I'm currently using 1ml per liter BAP on a Dente traps. Its callusing like crazy....much more than my last batch of .5ml per liter. I'm trying to get more callus growth so I can separate it and have more dente jars. Idk if i'm going about it wrong...just thought i'd share my limited experience:).
Heh, reminds me of a friend. He has a B52 callus that he has kept going for several months now. He cuts out dead parts and removes living sections to start new plants in other vessels.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!