FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By jkochuni
So I have been recently experimenting with Kinetin, and I have found 3-4 mg/l of Kinetin ideal for VFT multiplication. Check out these Bohemian Garnet cultures that I put into Kinetin 1-2 months ago.

What amount per liter of Kinetin/BAP have you found best to use with your cultures? I have also found that the plants respond best to Kinetin when they are larger in size. I placed a few small plantlets on Kinetin and they only produced deformed traps, and seemed to have stunted growth.

Has anyone had luck with BAP? I really haven't used it much.
Last edited by jkochuni on Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By hackerberry
Hi Jason,

The best mix for me is 2 mg/l.

hb
By jkochuni
Thanks Hackerberry. I feel like I have a lot to learn in regards to what is best for multiplication, so please post your best multiplication mix no matter what you are using.
By Matt
Good looking cultures Jason. I actually prefer 0.5ml/L to 1ml/L of Kinetin myself. Anything more than that and I typically get some deformation happening and very little root formation. Multiplication doesn't seem to be a problem for Dionaea even on 50% MS without hormones.
By hackerberry
I've seen that 100x MS Vitamins mixed with Kinetin works well. I get 50 folds in 1 month. The problem now is dividing them and making room for a forest of VFTs.

hb
By Matt
hackerberry wrote:I've seen that 100x MS Vitamins mixed with Kinetin works well. I get 50 folds in 1 month. The problem now is dividing them and making room for a forest of VFTs.
So true! I've already filled up all of Steve's usable greenhouse space and I too am quickly running out of room. But spring is here and summer is just around the corner so I can move many of the TC babies outside soon.
By goldslinger
Beautiful, Jason !

hackerberry wrote:I've seen that 100x MS Vitamins mixed with Kinetin works well. I get 50 folds in 1 month. The problem now is dividing them and making room for a forest of VFTs.

hb
Hey, Hackerberry.

You don't use Phytotech's multiplying media anymore? Does that 100xMS with Kinetin working out better for You?

Did You mean to type 100% MS?
By Xeno
I think that HB are saying that he uses 100x stock solution ?
By hackerberry
Hi guys, I use the MS multiplication medium on it's own. The kinetin and MS vitamins I use with plain MS. Sometimes I mix all and that's when they go crazy. It's just a matter of experimenting and which results you are most satisfied. I'm satisfied with the mix of everything, just make sure you only use .5 ml/l of kinetin when you mix all.

hb
hackerberry liked this
By jkochuni
What do you mean by 100 MS? Sorry, I'm not understanding. Can you post a link?
By swerfer
Hi,

I also have tried varying the kinetin concentration on seedlings. I used seedlings two months after germination on plain MS (1/2). I transferred the seedlings on 50% MS+full vitamin and 0.5 mg/L kinetin. Newly formed leafs will grow lager and tougher. But a few things I have noticed are as follows. In 0.5 mg/L kinetin, root growth is steady but still forming, leafs are growing larger and the traps bigger. I have also put seedlings two month’s after germination on plain MS, on 2 mg/L kinetin. The growth of new leafs stops as well as the formation of roots. But the result after two months (without replating) is a large rhizome with a lot of newly formed beginning leafs. Which are however poorly developed (with no traps), just leaf stumps. So my guess is 2 mg/L kinetin is only good for multiplication. I now have this explant on plain 1/3 MS + full vitamins (30g/L sucrose, 500 mg/L casein hydrolysat) without kinetin. But this replate was on April 11th, so I don’t have the results on the development of the stumps and if they are viable. I also cut up some seedlings to multiply my stock. Put the cut up rhizomes and leafs on 50% MS + full vitamins, 100 mg/L casein and 30g of sucrose with 0.5 mg/L kinetin. Within 4 weeks a lot of leafs/explants turned brown and died, little callus formation or very slow forming callus. I think this is due to the kinetin and the fact the cutting up weakens the plant. The rhizome explants were more alive and recovered the operation. I have everything back to MS without hormones. I am still finding out how this follows up.

As a conclusion, I have only tried seedlings / seed explants in TC, which are probably more delicate than normal callus forming leafexplant or flowerstalk explants. But overall, it takes a lot of time to exponentially increase your plant stock. Every replate takes 4 to 8 weeks.

Youri
By Multiclone
Hi Youri,
I use this media quite a bit.
I never use less than 50% MS except for seed germination, 20%.
This media is not to be used for leaves but only whole plants. At 0.5% you will not get too much multiplication. It is excellent for growth.
You are right about 2mg Kinetin for multiplication only, this strength is to high for a growth media.
After reading all the posts it soon becomes apparent that vft will multiply over a huge range of medias with all sorts of PGRs. The secret is finding what is suitable for our individual needs.
If you you find something works very well once and then the next time it doesn't place the plants for 1 transfer back onto a basal media consisting of only MS + vitamins. Also if you are experimenting and your explant looks like it is about to die or begins to look strange and you do not want to lose it transfer it to this basal media as quick as possible.
Geoff
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!