FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Boarden
I keep her under a compact fluorescent lamp 12h each day and also keep her on my window at all times. I feel like the leaves are going brown faster than new ones are growing. I recently clipped a lot of the brown leaves and kept only the healthy ones. I feel like the plant is having less healthy leaves each day.Image
other side Image
Boarden liked this
By Shadowtski
Your plant looks OK to me. You have dew on the tentacles and they're getting enough light to develop some Red coloration. My only suggestion would be to feed it a bug or two, put it someplace where it can catch some. During Winter, here in Wisconsin, I feed mine freeze dried bloodworms. These are available at your local pet-store.

Good growing,
Mike
By Boarden
Update.

It has gotten smaller this last month. While there are still lots of individual leaves they're much smaller in length than before. The new leaves don't grow as big as they used to and now the newest leaves have slight black tips. What's wrong?Does anyone have any idea :/? Or is anything wrong at all? I fed my plant 3 worms i bought from a fishing supplies store like a post above suggested. I also changed the pot, because I think the old one kept in too much water and the plant might have been overwatered. Not sure if this will change anything.
By Shadowtski
I've noticed smaller leaves on my mature Drosera when they are getting more light, better light, or longer light, like they get this time of year.

Also, when a plant is getting ready to flower, leaves get smaller because more energy is being diverted into the reproductive process. Your capensis may be generating a flower scape soon.

Overall, I think your plant looks healthy.

Good growing,
Mike
By xr280xr
I have yet to over-water a capensis. I'm not sure it's possible. I was going to ask if maybe it was getting too dry between waterings? They can also react this way to hotter temperatures, or being sprayed with pesticides. Try to keep the light and moisture consistent day to day. You're using distilled water and nutrient-free soil, right?
By boarderlib
It looks okay to me, but blackened tips on new growth is one indicator of mineral burn with drosera. That's one of the first signs. The leaves will start to blacken before they are even fully formed. To be on the safe side I would recommend top watering the crap out of it, since from what I can see the media wasn't flushed when it was potted. I would also recommend not feeding it until it's showing lots of dew, and by lots I mean the whole leaf should be dewy. Just my thoughts. I should add shadowtski is a far more experienced drosera guy than me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By xr280xr
boarderlib wrote:I should add shadowtski is a far more experienced drosera guy than me.
Me too. I grow Droseras because Droseras said so. I don't give mine a ton of attention.
By boarderlib
xr280xr wrote: I grow Droseras because Droseras said so.
Lol. I love the way you worded that.
xr280xr wrote:I don't give mine a ton of attention.
I also think that's one of the best kept secrets for growing. Leave them be.

By boarderlib
xr280xr wrote: Me too.
My apologies, I didn't even see your post right before mine. Yes, you are correct sir. You too. Image

By xr280xr
boarderlib wrote: My apologies, I didn't even see your post right before mine. Yes, you are correct sir. You too. Image
lol, no I meant Shadowtski is far more experienced with drosera than me too. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
By boarderlib
xr280xr wrote: lol, no I meant Shadowtski is far more experienced with drosera than me too. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Ahh, but you're still more experienced with drosera (probably all CP's) than me. Image

By Benurmanii
I've noticed that my capensis will form blackened tops in its leaves if being kept too humid relative to the amount of light it is getting.

Also, you don't mist yours, do you? Some people try this with Drosera, which I guess seems sort of logical (having "dew"), but it only stresses the plant.
Benurmanii liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!