FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Melchocho
I bought some succulents today, and I can't identify all of them directly. This one aloe type that I got wasn't looking great at all, but he was very cheap and had fallen down into a space where he had been forgotten. I had to give him some love.

He has white stuff on him. I don't know if that's normal, or some kind of fungus. I have him away from my other new succulents for now, and I didn't notice it until I got home. The two outer leaves look pretty poopy, so I'm thinking of just removing them.

If anyone knows his type and what the white dirt could be, I'd really appreciate it!
Attachments:
IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG (485.71 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0451.JPG (495.56 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
By Rammplins
I don't know much about succulents, but I know that they keep their leaves for a long time, so I would worry about 2 falling off of a plant that small. That fungus/mildew doesn't look good either. if it got in the crown then chances for survival are slim. I would remove the dead outer leaf, wipe away as much as mold possible, use your chosen method of treatment (I use neem for just about everything), and give him lots of sun. Hopefully all that sun helps to kill whatever it is on there (plus aloe likes sun).
As for the media....I don't have a clue.
By Sakaaaaa
The media is what I call "traditional media". It can be composed of cocopeat, burnt rice husks, and sometimes even peat. The media looks old and Ithe plant does not look good. I would worry about the leaves. As what with rammplins said, succulent leaves last very long. My haworthia still has leaves from when it was very little. (Now it's filling up the pot. They grow up so fast *sniffles*)
By Melchocho
Thanks guys! I took off the two outermost leaves, and the crown looks like it's fine. I'm going to see about somehow cleaning the leaf with white marks on it, repot it alone, and keeping it outside. Hopefully this nice Cali sun will do something.

On another note, I almost bought some vft's from the same place, but all the ones I saw had dead, molded leaves. While their other leaves seemed fine, I was worried about the mold affecting the vfts in my home, so I didn't bother. It's so sad when no one cares for these guys.
By Bluemoon
That is the standard media that they sell succulents and cacti in at big box stores. It's not very good for succulents but it is cheap.

As for the ID of the plant, I believe it might be a cape aloe or a century plant (type of agave). I think I've seen that particular species before but can't put a name to it.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!