FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By stefano28091979
Hello everyone guys, I joined your forum and just introduced myself.
Among the many he is the one I liked the most, people with a lot of experience and always available to help you.
I wanted to ask you my first advice.
For about a month I bought a Nepenthes Rajah of about 3.5 inch, I grow it in a 24x24 inch grow box with electronically controlled temperature and humidity.
Now I would like to replace the lights, I have read that many of you recommend Yescom and Mars Hydro led panels.
For my type of plant which ones do you recommend and at what height?
A thousand thanks.
By Rammplins
Both yescom and marshydro seem to be great choices. I haven't used yescom personally but I have heard great things. I have a 600w equivalent marshydro light that I kept about 2 ft above the media level and my highland neps were very happy with it. Since yours are in a tank if any of them seem to be getting too much light you can always just tape a tiny square of mesh or opaque cling wrap right above the plant on the top of the tank to cut some of the light.
By MaxVft
Yeah only difference between Mars Hydro and Yescom is the wattage/strength (mine is only 22 watts!)
By stefano28091979
Thanks a lot for the answers guys, you were very fast and very kind.
Are the Yescoms the blue / red ones or the white ones? How far should I keep them from the plant?
By specialkayme
Yescom and Mars Hydro are generally very popular. So is Spider farmer. There's a division in the hydro world of Spider vs Mars, almost to the level of the bloods and the crypts. Last I compared, they were so close it in performance it wasn't worth scrutinizing. Whatever size best fit your needs and price point appears to work fine.

Vivosun is another popular brand. I've heard of many happy customers of their LED lights.

There are also a ton of other "knock off" brands, like Yehsence and PARFACTWORKS. I haven't met a dissatisfied customer of either (although perhaps the "fraction of a price" difference persuades it).

I also know one guy that is literally OBSESSED with LED grow lights, and absolutely swears by HLG's lights. I know a bunch of people that are very happy with their lights, although I believe they offer more options for "DIY" light makers, which perhaps might be why they are so popular with my LED obsesssed friend.

Personally, I went with a https://www.carnivero.com/collections/f ... row-lights Florawave light. I got a little overwhelmed by the options, got into "paralysis by analysis" mode in comparing the outputs of all the options, and ended up sticking with a light designed and manufactured by someone who knows their nepenthes. I'm happy with my choice. But honestly, I don't think I would have been disappointed with any of the above.
By stefano28091979
Thank you so much for the explanation and for the many specialkayme tips.
Summing up guys among all those listed which one would you recommend taking into account my grow box and the Rajah that I think as soon as everything is completed, I will add other Nepenthes with the same characteristics?
By stefano28091979
Hello everyone ... sorry if I'm asking you so many questions.
I wanted to ask for your opinion.
I have noticed for about a week that a leaf and a pitcher are starting to go black, now as a light I have a Sansi lamp of 15W at about 1 foot, but I was wondering if it was the fault of the white light it emits
In your opinion, if I had to buy the lights that you recommended red / blue, would I avoid this problem?
To give you some more information if you may find it useful the map I bought it from Wistuba.
By Supercazzola
specialkayme wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:35 pm There's a division in the hydro world of Spider vs Mars, almost to the level of the bloods and the crypts.
Folks outside the USA might not get the reference to these gangs, even if you capitalized the first letter of their names. And it is Crips… I know between YouTube and Google, folks can “almost” learn almost anything.
specialkayme liked this
By specialkayme
Supercazzola wrote:And it is Crips…
I stand corrected.

I used to make the reference of the "jets vs the sharks", as it used to be a reference that worked globally, but the last few times I made that reference everyone under 35 gave me quizzical stares, thinking how an NFL team could play an NHL team. And that age bracket is much less likely to get the reference of the montagues vs capulets, so I settle on the Bloods and the Crips . . . of course you lose something when you have add this level of explanation . . .
By specialkayme
stefano28091979 wrote:I will add other Nepenthes with the same characteristics?
I'm not sure if you intended this to be a question or not, but generally speaking yes I would recommend adding plants that enjoy similar environments (light, temp, humidity). I've found light levels to be the easiest to adjust for (just move it away from the lights a little if it needs less light), compared to temperature and humidity.

As for what Rajah likes, I can't help you there. I've never grown it. I've heard it prefers highland conditions, and is less forgiving than some other "highland" plants. I've also heard it can become a monster of a plant size wise. Both reasons I've steered away from Rajah, even though I haven't avoided hamata or edwardsiana crosses.
stefano28091979 wrote:Hello everyone ... sorry if I'm asking you so many questions.
FWIW I don't think you're asking too many questions . . . It's how we all learn, right?
stefano28091979 wrote: I have noticed for about a week that a leaf and a pitcher are starting to go black, now as a light I have a Sansi lamp of 15W at about 1 foot, but I was wondering if it was the fault of the white light it emits
If the leaves and pitchers are going black, it isn't a light issue. It's most likely a moisture issue.

Nepenthes typically will not pitcher in low light conditions, and their leaves have a tendency of getting pale (varies between nepenthes types), along with slow growth. Too much light will cause pitchers to become very pronounced with color, and the leaves will often start to "blush" by turning colors (some yellow, but usually orange or red shades, sometimes blotchy in appearance). If it gets fully "burned" it will turn brown as the leaf and pitcher die back. That usually takes some significant light (or proximity to light) and time before it turns really brown.

"Black" spots are often indications of fungus, mold, or rot, and are usually the result in overwatering, overly moist conditions with improper air flow, or fungal/bacterial disease.

I'll mention though it's INCREDIBLY difficult to diagnose without photos, and in many cases in person observance. So that's just my guess.
By stefano28091979
Excuse me guys I explained myself badly ... I wanted to ask you among all the lights you recommended which are the most suitable for the type of nepenthes such as rajah ... taking into account that later on I will add other plants with about the same characteristics.
As for the leaves and black jugs, I think I have placed them too close to the heating cable and that there is little air circulation, I will arrange everything as soon as possible.
Thank you very much everyone for the answers and the time you dedicate to me.
If I can, I'll post some photos later.
By stefano28091979
Here is my "little girl" with the problems I listed.
Attachments:
IMG_20211108_200453.jpg
IMG_20211108_200453.jpg (4.48 MiB) Viewed 8152 times
IMG_20211108_200435.jpg
IMG_20211108_200435.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 8152 times
IMG_20211108_200425.jpg
IMG_20211108_200425.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 8152 times
IMG_20211108_200414.jpg
IMG_20211108_200414.jpg (3.15 MiB) Viewed 8152 times
IMG_20211108_200337.jpg
IMG_20211108_200337.jpg (4.2 MiB) Viewed 8152 times
By Rammplins
I think I see 2 growth points there, NICE!

As for the color it seems to be normal blushing from the lighting. Seeing how the newest leaves only has a tinge of blush on them so far I would say it is has probably acclimated and is fine to stay at that distance from the lights, if you want to move it 3-5 inches away from the light it wouldn't hurt but it looks ok by me. As others have said the blackening pitchers seem to be because of low humidity.
Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

I am definitely not with it today I can’t fi[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!