FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
How deep does the pot has to be in order to grow a CP outside?

I want to start growing my VFT's outside year round, as well as sarracenias, and some droseras. I live 2 hours away from the VFT natural habitad, which you can also find droseras and saracenias, and pinguiculas.

So here's what i want to do, i just want to know how deep and how many plants per pot would i have to put so the plants don't freeze outside?
I can already answer the first question, maybe 2 feet of peat with sand would do it right? i want something that really works and i don't want them to freeze, so if i need more peat, then i'll try to get larger pots.

but how many plants per pot?

There are some pots in lowe's that are big and square, and i would need to repot all the babies and all the adult VFT's, as well as all the sarras i have, and droseras, so how many pots would i need if i have some 500-600 VFT's????

In that way i won't have to worry about temperate plants and i would be able to bring my tropical plants inside while the temperate are outside dormant.
I will protect the pot from squirrels and birds.

So basically i just want them to enjoy of the cold hars weather without me having to worry about bringing them inside.

My climate( thought is uncertain to say since temps patterns are unpredictable) is in winter near the 40F, but it can also be in the lower 20's and upper 30's for weeks and weeks and sometimes in the teen's for a short period of time. It does snows in here, and sometimes we have those low pressures, this might sound like not the climate for VFT's, but they do too experience the same things as well. Sometimes there might be a 3 degree difference from were i live, sometimes there might be a 10 degree difference, sometimes we get 8-inchs of snow while there they get 2-inches, so it is more calm in there, but is the same most of the times.

Is there something else i have to worry about, does this even sounds like a good idea?

Thank you!
By jamez
A 6-12" pot is good. You have cultivars, so you should set each cultivar in a 12" pot. For a 12" I would say 6-10.
Even if the pot is 6" deep and 12" across they will grow fine and won't freeze. If they are babies, then just fill it up as much was you can. They'll be covering each other and may not color up as much though. Put about 50 babies per 12" pot. If it ever gets too cold put as 72 hr heatpack by your plants until it warms up.

Good luck.
jamez, jamez liked this
By alabama
would it matter how much being its by their natural habitat where they grow in the ground and dont freeze,
my theory on small plants not freezing would be to leave their rossettes of dead leafs around them it seems to keep their bulbs warm
By frog
You know way more about growing then me. I grow my plants outside 8-9 months a year in OH. My plants are at 32-35F all winter in pots. I don't think you want to let them get any colder then that in pots. Next year I want to plant in the ground and grow outside year round. I don't think it's a good idea to re-pot your plants and put them outside all winter long. I think your breaking to many rules. #1 Potted plants below 32F #2 re-potting plants just before dormancy. Sure VFT's experience the same climate as yours but in the ground. For what little it's worth I say bad idea unless you have pots two foot deep and very wide.
Weird Venus Flytrap

And also, I may or may not have found a flytrap nu[…]

Progress Pictures

Very impressive :)

Izumia’s first pitcher

After 8 months of waiting, its first pitcher is ge[…]

Cephalotus for sale!

Shipping is $9 all around the U.S. and $9.30 for U[…]

I have bought seeds that are very viable from FTK […]

Happy hear she made it to you in good condition. […]

Drosera seedlings moldy

They were under a plastic cover to increase the hu[…]

Oh yeah I am definitely going to clean that po[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!