FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By muzicfreak2008
Hi everyone. I'm hoping to get 2 answers from this maybe.

The first is identification of the moss that I have growing. I thought it was actual Sphagnum moss at first but now I don't know. The moss that I have came with 2 VfT that I bought from a different nursery. In the "instructions" of how to care for them after shipping it said that they have New Zealand Sphagnum around the plants and it should be cut back so it won't choke out the plants.

I removed the moss and saved it hoping that I could start my own colony. After looking at some other post about Sphagnum and other people getting sheet moss instead I'm curious whether or not this is true Sphagnum.

I have several pictures of the moss and one of the moss starting in one of my pots of a young Sarracenia.

The other question would be if it is Sphagnum, how should I go about growing it since right now it is on a soil.

The moss in question and my finger. It's very small. Almost like hairs.

Overview shot of my "colony"

These are the clumps that I saved from the original VFTs that I got. This moss has roots that seem to go very deep. All the way through a 3in pot.

Moss that started on its own. I did not put anything here for this to start. Must have started through natural means?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Leathal_Traps
Not sphagnum, just a common type of sheet/star moss that appears in wet pots.
By Aozora
You want to get rid of it? And here i am trying my best to get a nice and green moss carpet, without any succes.
By DeadlyCarnivore
Is the moss really that bad? I see how it could overtake small plants, but just like Aozora, I am trying to get a nice green sheet of moss on my pots.

Sent from my SM-G935V
Wishlist:
N. Jacquelineae
Byblis Aquatica
D. Fulva
D. coccicaulis
D. Ramentacea
N. Argentii
D. Ascendens
N. Ventricosa
By Fishman
muzicfreak2008, if you really want to keep this star moss, just keep the soil wet, such as the same as a sundew. Keep good lighting on it and it will take over before too long. Believe me, i grow it. Not always intentionally, but i do grow it..
By Mufasa
definately not sphagnum, best to get rid of that crap as it will promote slime and acidification of soil
By steve booth
That moss is of ne use to the plant and I would remove it as it gets invasive.
Why would acidification of the soil be bad?

Cheers
Steve
By muzicfreak2008
Thanks everyone for the info. I have already removed that moss and am in the process of repotting my plants. They need a bit of help for dormancy. They're under artificial light but I can't get them in colder weather without going straight into the fridge.

I guess I need to look for someone selling Sphagnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Benurmanii
I don't mind the star moss. I've noticed that it doesn't really choke small plants the way carpet moss does (even carpet moss isn't that bad, but can be irritating when trying to remove the plants from it gently while repotting).
So much work!!! I love it!

I should have it all ready to list in June, but we[…]

Tissue Culture Project 2023

I know it has been just over a year. If you are st[…]

andynorth's Grow/want list

Did anyone else take advantage of Matt's sale last[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

I was thinking Intermedia. They have a tendency to[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

I sent it in the mail yesterday

It isn't fully sealed, so it shouldn't be digestin[…]

So what would be the signs that I should not be us[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!