FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By thatonechick371
I have Humpty Doo (burmanii? Something like that) seeds on the way, and judging from pictures I think thats my favorite. I javent grown them though, so that opinion could change. Since you are new to the forums, id suggest you go with some drosera capensis to start with. They are easy to grow and they grow like weeds!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
Welcome Mary! It's impossible to say what my favorite is. I find one I think is my favorite and then a new one catches my eye. I agree though starting with drosera is a great way to go, especially if you want to start from seed. Currently my favorite two species of sundews are filiformis and capensis. I like all things crazy and those are about the two craziest looking sundews. Cobras are my overall favorite plant with sarracenia right on their heels though.

I've been around a bit longer (about two years now), so I'm a little meaner than most. Lol.

Best of luck and happy growing!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Mawy_Plants
thatonechick371 wrote:I have Humpty Doo (burmanii? Something like that) seeds on the way, and judging from pictures I think thats my favorite. I javent grown them though, so that opinion could change. Since you are new to the forums, id suggest you go with some drosera capensis to start with. They are easy to grow and they grow like weeds!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I'll have to check out what that little guy looks like. I'm not too familiar with anything by species, for now! And I think I will take you up on that suggestion. I'd like to start with seedlings and if I'm choosing one with high viability it will build my confidence. Haha. Good luck with your seeds, I'd love to see you post a growth journal!

boarderlib wrote:Welcome Mary! It's impossible to say what my favorite is. I find one I think is my favorite and then a new one catches my eye. I agree though starting with drosera is a great way to go, especially if you want to start from seed. Currently my favorite two species of sundews are filiformis and capensis. I like all things crazy and those are about the two craziest looking sundews. Cobras are my overall favorite plant with sarracenia right on their heels though.

I've been around a bit longer (about two years now), so I'm a little meaner than most. Lol.

Best of luck and happy growing!

Thanks for the warm welcome! Everyone here is so kind, although you did warn me you're one of the meanies. Lol!

I definitely have a soft spot for Cephalotus. They are so adorable. Cobras have stood out for me in regards to Sarracenia, such a striking resemblance! 8-)

I suppose I should find CP that are similar in terms of conditions since I will be growing them outdoors and would be difficult replicate varying climates.
By twitterglitter
That meanie convinced me to get a cephalotos. I can't thank him enough for that. He won't steer you wrong either.

You won't go wrong with sarracenia since you can grow them in the same conditions as the fly traps, they just like more water. North American drosera will do well for you too.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
By Mawy_Plants
twitterglitter wrote:That meanie convinced me to get a cephalotos. I can't thank him enough for that. He won't steer you wrong either.

You won't go wrong with sarracenia since you can grow them in the same conditions as the fly traps, they just like more water. North American drosera will do well for you too.

Sweet, thanks twitterglitter!

I think I'll wait a little until I delve into the Cephalotus pool. I'm currently only growing VFT. Drosera or Sarracenia will be next. I really want some Nepenthes tho! I'd rather take it slowly tho, don't wanna neglect any of em!

How can plants have so much control over us?!?
By phil1984
Hi

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
Mawy_Plants wrote:
I definitely have a soft spot for Cephalotus. They are so adorable. Cobras have stood out for me in regards to Sarracenia, such a striking resemblance! 8-)

I suppose I should find CP that are similar in terms of conditions since I will be growing them outdoors and would be difficult replicate varying climates.
Cephs are beautiful little plants, when you think you're ready for one, get it. Don't let their reputation for being "finicky" prevent you from enjoying one.

That's a perfect way to start, but remember they are very adaptable for the most part.

As twitterglitter states I'm a bad influence too. Lol. Image
twitterglitter wrote:That meanie convinced me to get a cephalotos. I can't thank him enough for that. He won't steer you wrong either.

boarderlib liked this
By twitterglitter
It took me 7 months to get one. I wanted to learn the basics before I tried something more difficult. Definitely take your time and enjoy the ride. It gets a little crazy, you get one plant and before you know it you have 20 or more.

twitterglitter liked this
By phil1984
My new ones are dividing lol

By phil1984
Mawy_Plants wrote:Hello everyone!
I have just recently become a CP enthusiast and have been glued to these forums to learn as much as I can. It's really awesome that this resource is available for both knowledge and socializing! Anywho, I hope to develop my
collection and learn a thing or two from you all! Image
Mary
Hello

By Mawy_Plants
phil1984 wrote:My new ones are dividing lol

Hello! That's awesome! I'm waiting for mine to start branching out and making a new rhizome. In time!
By phil1984
Think I struck lucky with mine lol

By Fly Trap Hunter
If you google drosera images... you can keep changing the second name Drosera Filiforma or spatulata and you will get images. I like the capillaris and I believe Spatulata? because they grow here in the wild. Mostly I'd want a drosera that was small and didn't spread. I could use one to catch the fruit flies around my fresh tomatoes. Maybe an army!

I don't like the drosera that look like octopus. or tentacles if thick leaved. They are scary. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

I bought a bunch of vfts after looking at Boarderlibs pictures. I never have a problem being challenged by someone who knows more than me. or "corrected" if you will. :shock:
By Mawy_Plants
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:If you google drosera images... you can keep changing the second name Drosera Filiforma or spatulata and you will get images. I like the capillaris and I believe Spatulata? because they grow here in the wild. Mostly I'd want a drosera that was small and didn't spread. I could use one to catch the fruit flies around my fresh tomatoes. Maybe an army!

I don't like the drosera that look like octopus. or tentacles if thick leaved. They are scary. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

I bought a bunch of vfts after looking at Boarderlibs pictures. I never have a problem being challenged by someone who knows more than me. or "corrected" if you will. :shock:

I never would have imagined such a vast array of carnivorous plants existed. It's pretty wicked.

That's neat! I highly doubt wild CPs are in my area. Haha. Whenever I think of wild things, I remember a conversation I had with my best friend that she saw wild hedgehogs while living in Sweden... Extremely off topic, I know! :lol:

Anywho, I support your idea of a platoon to flank the flies. You've inspired me to grown around certain plants in my backyard due to the overwhelming flies they attract. Or maybe it's bc of organic scraps being tossed into their pots by my grandma... :roll:

Seriously, it seems like everybodies collection is on steroids or something. It's all so beautiful!
By Fly Trap Hunter
Actually peoples plants are tweaken out on Bug Juice. :lol: or bugs on steroids maybe like you said?
Water Quality

I used to have a pool/spa at my house in CA. The m[…]

I'd def keep it. Sometimes plants (in general, not[…]

A 15-hour photoperiod is good, yes.

I too am wondering when to start the transition. I[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

OP lives in Poland.

Just let it be. Don't overthink it man. Worst that[…]

Get a magnifying glass 🔍

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!