FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Maricopa
Hi, everyone - new flytrap owner here - Dionaea muscipula -
Still in its original container. Trying to find out what I need to do to make this a happy, healthy plant
Attachments:
IMG_1564.JPG
IMG_1564.JPG (650.03 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
By Shadowtski
Maricopa wrote:Hi, everyone - new flytrap owner here - Dionaea muscipula -
Still in its original container. Trying to find out what I need to do to make this a happy, healthy plant
Hi!
Welcome to the forum. I see you got your Flytrap from a great source. Besides selling Flytraps, Matt has some articles online about caring for your new plant. Check it out here. Basically, these tell you to give your plant lots of light, fresh pure water, CP friendly growing media, and to respect their dormancy requirements.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By Wikiwakawakawee
Welcome to the forums yo! :D I used to live in Maricopa too 8-)

I had trouble keeping VFT's outside in Phoenix, but I didn't have any where that had shade, and didn't give them much water, so they all quickly withered away unfortunately.

Best advice I can give you is to always have your soil moist with clean water (have the pots standing in a tray of water, even then, all the water will probably evaporate during the summer months. I know VFT's need full sun, but living in places like this, it's better to keep it under an area that's somewhat shaded (Not completely) during the time of day when it's hottest, but where the plant can still get some direct sun early morning.
Wikiwakawakawee liked this
By coffeenflowers
Some people would recommend you cut off the flower forming in your VFT. Reason is that forming the flower takes away energy that could be put to forming larger traps (which is generally more desirable). You can stick the cut off stem into the moss next to your plant and if you're lucky it will turn into another plant.

Crystal
grow list: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=32983
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!