FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Dewy the Sundew
Hi everyone, I currently have 2 Heliamphoras (minor and minor x heterodoxa) under the same conditions, top water with cold water everyday, under 32 watts LED strip lights, 28-31C day temps and 23-26 night temps and they seem to be okay as they lasted longer than my previous minor which died in just a week. May I know is it okay if I leave the left over water in the tray? If it gets too much i would empty it. Also how slow do heliamphoras grow haha. I could not find any sprouting new leaf from anywhere. And is there any good way to speed up the growing process? Thanks!!!

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
I don't recommend tray watering for any indoor plants, though I'm sure there's people here who do it. Feed it if you want the growth to speed up. I use maxsea in the pitchers once a month. Some people use an urea free orchid fertilizer with great success too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
I top water my Helis until water just starts to run out the bottom. They sit in that extra water but its gone within a day.

Helis can take a while to settle in to a new environment before they start growing. I add Maxsea to the pitchers as well and it seems to help.
By Aozora
after repotting my helis it took up to 2-3 months before any new growth started to appear, and now im getting 1 new adult pitcher every 3-4 weeks or so.
By Maiden
Your heliamphoras will always be slow growers if you grow them in lowland conditions.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
By Dewy the Sundew
Oh, thanks guys! I heard heliamphoras don't like sitting in large amounts of water in the tray, the water level in the tray is about 1 third or 1 fourth of the entire tray height.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk
Tissue Culture Project 2023

I know it has been just over a year. If you are st[…]

andynorth's Grow/want list

Did anyone else take advantage of Matt's sale last[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

I was thinking Intermedia. They have a tendency to[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

I sent it in the mail yesterday

It isn't fully sealed, so it shouldn't be digestin[…]

So what would be the signs that I should not be us[…]

...maybe look at trading the VFT for a sundew. M[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!