FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By MichaelG
Hi! I usually just allow seeds to fall wherever they decide to, but a few of my flower stalks are stretched out over the floor, so if the seeds ripen and fall, they will not be able to grow where they fell. My drosera capensis alba's seeds are beginning to form, and I would like to know a better way to harvest the seeds once they ripen. The ovaries are definitely swelling very well, and I pulled one off and looked inside (couldn't resist) and there were hundreds of tiny white, undeveloped seeds inside. There are about 20-30 more pods just like the one I pulled off, and more flowers blooming that should develop nice seeds too. This particular plant is one of my biggest and favorites, so I'd love to grow some seeds from it.

Any tips on harvesting seed so I don't lose many?
By MichaelG
I've thought about that, but I'm scared to break the stalk and I don't want to prevent myself from being able to pollinate the flowers that are still blooming.
By linton
As the seeds start to split open give the flowerstalk a shake over a large bowl & catch the seed that falls. The seed won't fall all at once, so it's best to repeat the procedure every day until you get no more seed.
linton liked this

Order received. Your order number is 1651. I'll PM[…]

if nobodys said it yet ive found a pressure spraye[…]

1 year old cape!

I would really be interested in getting some see[…]

Lee’s Botanical Gardens has some drosera for[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not s[…]

Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!