FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By nellian
This is my first VFT =D He is a holland red and although he hasn't acquired the deep red as seen in pictures yet I like his coloring and over time he has been getting darker, Maybe I just haven't found the perfect sunny spot for him yet ;D

A few weeks after I got him in the mail

I just realized that stem coming up in the middle is a blossom!

but I cut it off and planted it beside the vft; I read from several sources not to let it flower because its too hard on the plant

I wish I took more pics of him at this stage! He really started throwing up a ton of large traps in a short amount of time, even though they look green at this point after a few days they started developing a nice red

And then disaster strikes D=

Cat attack! T^T one of my cats ate the traps off! wahh

Damn cats, I'm pretty sure I know which one did it too! Anyone have any pointers on how to keep cats away from plants? =/ Its in a safe spot now but its not getting very much sun .
By Matt
nellian wrote:I like his coloring and over time he has been getting darker, Maybe I just haven't found the perfect sunny spot for him yet ;D
It requires extremely bright light (such as in a greenhouse or under bright artificial light) or full sun for them to turn that deep, dark maroon color. But the plant looks like it's getting enough sun to be quite healthy, so I wouldn't worry about it too much :)
nellian wrote:Anyone have any pointers on how to keep cats away from plants?
Not from experience, but I've heard that sprinkling cayenne pepper on the top of the soil will help keep most animals away.
By nellian
Yeah he seems to be doing great with the amount of sun hes getting. The traps seem heathy and close on prey very fast now as opposed to when it first came out of dormancy they were sluggish. I feed the traps occasionally whenever I find a bug which isn't often =X Last time I fed a trap it closed on the bug so fast I jumped! scared the crap out of me I wan't expecting that lightning fast reaction.

Unfortunately the only spot that gets sunlight all day is inside on a windowsill, my balcony only gets sunlight from 4pm til dusk D= but I am still happy with the color <3

I want to plant several plants together in a large pot but I'm going to wait for the mystery or baby flytrap bundle to come back in stock ;) or maybe a Drosera capensis red and a sawtooth, or a low giant..or red piranha so many choices its hard to pick.
By Matt
nellian wrote:I want to plant several plants together in a large pot but I'm going to wait for the mystery or baby flytrap bundle to come back in stock
We should be putting a few in stock sporadically, so hopefully you can snag one when we do.
nellian wrote:or maybe a Drosera capensis red and a sawtooth, or a low giant..or red piranha so many choices its hard to pick.
Drosera capensis is a great plant and those are all nice flytrap choices and all on my top 10 favorite flytrap list.
By Shes Crofty
Cute! :3

I've never tried using pepper, I just put them out of reach. Even then they still look up and whine.. that must be some tasty nectar.
Results of self pollinating?

That's actually a decent size for an ovary, so I w[…]

Where is the cheapest place to buy pots

Hi all! I just ran out of large pots for my sarra[…]

tommyr's grow list

pm'ed ya!

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

just pm'ed you!

Catching the Nep fever

Surprisingly, I have never really put effort into […]

Hello from the California!

Wow! this forum has an amazing set up for seeds! I[…]

April 2024 Photo Contest - Stuck on You

Much thanks to Optique and what an incredible, hea[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!