FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

By lindahk
I m wondering HID is better for LED for grow plants. ;)
By Shadowtski
lindahk wrote:I m wondering HID is better for LED for grow plants. ;)
Both give a very intense light, adequate for the most Sun-living CP.

But HID lights generate a large amount of heat which must be dissipated. They also cost more to operate, using more electricity to generate the same amount of light.

LED lights give me intense Red coloration on my CP, particularly Drosera. They color up my typical Cephalotus to a Purple so dark, it is almost black.

I've tried HID high pressures sodium and metal halide lighting. I tried T12, T8, and T5 fluorescents. I gave away the HID stuff and switched to all LED lighting.

My two main lights are MarsHydro 300s. I also have some T8 daylight LED replacement tubes that fit fluorescent fixtures. I even have a couple of 100W equivalent LED screw-in daylight lightbulbs.

Every grow setup is different. But for me, LED lighting was the best choice.

This is one grower's opinion.

Good growing,
Mike
By davidbondy17
They both offer incredibly bright light, however, the trade off with HID lights is that they produce an incredible amount of heat, that can be inadequate for most CPs. Personally I have been using a 300W LED Grow Panel to grow my CPs for the past year (before I was using CFLs) and I'm very happy with the results. It produces energy efficient, bright light, that's in the perfect spectrum for growing plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By rbdocie
I build and sell LEDs for growing plants. LED is much better then HID however you must have the right LEDs, there are a lot of scams. maybe 20% of the LEDs you see online are worth your time. The down side to LEDs are the up front cost. However the more then pay for them selves because they can last 10 years with only a 10% loss in light quality.

LED is the best its just finding the right ones. Also LEDs come in full spectrum COB so non of that blue and red only stuff.
Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!