FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of subjects other than carnivorous plants, such as orchids, landscapes, etc.

Moderator: Matt

By Grey
Back to original post...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments and encouragement, you're all lovely!

I've tested the piece of ocean rock I purchased and unfortunately it just does not want to absorb water; at mum's recommendation we tried soaking it for a while first but it's just too dense, so that rock will be going into Nineveh's enclosure when I clean it out. There is good news, however! I've been in touch with a local aquatics store and they have two pieces of tufa in stock that are an ideal size for my Pinguicula, they've put them by for me so I'll hopefully be able to pick them up on Saturday. Hooray!

Speaking of Nineveh, there's a large possibility he'll be getting a girlfriend... he's been doing what I presume to be a mating call in the night, and I've learned that these guys live in large colonies in the wild. The research I did prior to purchasing him suggested that he'd be OK on his own, but now what I've learned conflicts with that so it looks like he'll be getting a missis! (Hissis?! HAHA. OK. Bad pun.) I've had a very gracious offer from the kind lady who sold me Nineveh to take any babies I can't care for. Colour me excited!

I think Misi realized Nineveh was there for the first time today, she came into my room and jumped onto my bed immensely purrified, then proceeded to sniff at Nineveh's tank. That's the first interaction she's had with his existence. Skatty, on the other hand... sat... on top of Nineveh's tank when my sister visited over the weekend. He's more interested than Misi, who is, well...
Yeah.

I've taken a look at the heart of my D. dielsiana plants and it looks like they've died, or are continuing to die. It's really unfortunate, I'm not sure why that is... but do you know what's strange? The first seed of theirs I've sown has germinated with gusto. It's the wrong time of year, so we'll see how they do.
I still have a pot full of seed sat on my shelf. I'll need to fridge it, not sure what to do with it. Maybe see if I can trade it for some Mexican Pinguicula seed.

Speaking of Mexican Pinguicula, here are the latest photo updates of their succulent-y progress.

P. 'Tina
Curiously enough, the division in the silica sand/perlite/egg shell media has suddenly darted ahead of the adult plant and is growing lovely succulent leaves.

P. 'Weser'
There are still mucus glands on this plant's leaves, but they are definitely going succulent.
The divisions, however, just keep growing and dividing.

I'm hoping to plant all the divisions currently kept in pure perlite onto the tufa. We'll see how it goes!
Grey, Grey, Grey liked this
By Grey
Thank you tish. :)

I'm not sure as though I'm a master LOL, but thank you for the encouragement. I do mean egg shells, yes! "Yolks or whites?!" That could be bad! I've updated the post to clarify... I don't have an exact ratio that I used but I crushed two whole egg shells as much as I could and added it to a 6:4 silica sand/perlite mix (had about two litres of that mix in totle). I'd estimate one full, medium egg shell per litre of mix. That's a guess. Helpful? Not entirely, sorry about that!

The few times I've actually pollinated the Ping flowers successfully I gave the seed away; that was before I lost most of my collection to browning heart disease... since then, I've not had enough plants or flowers to really be able to do much. I don't know if I'd sell any future seed I collect, it would depend on a variety of circumstances.
Grey liked this
By Grey
Back to original post...

Kind of a random time of week to update you all, but I've been busy with Nineveh's vivarium and wanted to share what I've been up to. I'm ever so pleased!

Here are some photos of Nineveh, for those who are interested.
Nineveh 1 || Jail break! || Nineveh 2 || Nineveh 3

Yay.
Grey liked this
By Grey
IHaveNoIdea, thank you! :) I used to keep a giant African land snail, giant spiny leaf insects and sun beetles, so the Exo Terra has seen some action. I'm looking forward to getting Nineveh's mate and them having some babies, it'll fill the space beautifully. And I'd love more terrarium pets, I've been considering getting back into beetles, I have an old aquarium in the shed that'd be good for that. I'm not able to care for anything too demanding, but would love, love, love a crested gecko one day!

Ahaha, tish. I think he's a bit big for our plants! I'm glad you enjoyed the images, thanks for the support and interest. :)
By IHaveNoIdea
Well I'm not into beetles, snails, cockroaches and other creepy creepers :D I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, knowing that something might crawl out of its terarium.. :lol:
Geckos are not too much demanding. The only difficulty is that they need live food.
By Grey
Haha! That's one of the main reasons I used the ExoTerra for Nineveh and not one of our old aquariums, because the lid locks in place very, very tightly. I like hearing them moving about at night, especially when Nineveh is doing his mating call or rustling about in stuff.
Sundew in forest

They won't grow in nutrient rich soil and, believe[…]

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

So I live in central Arkansas, and I want to grow […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I would give it a bit more shade but it doesn't ne[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!