FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of subjects other than carnivorous plants, such as orchids, landscapes, etc.

Moderator: Matt

By Grey
Tish, I think the issue for me is/was lack of water. I've been rather forgetful the last few weeks, and the plants have gone a bit longer without water than they usually do... it's also getting cooler, and I tend to get some tumbling cold from my window. So it could be a number of things causing my issue. I'm sorry that your plant is having some issues, I do hope that it recovers but if not... that you can get plenty of seed from it and start a new generation. I don't really know that much about drosera in general so I'm not entirely sure what else to say.

Thanks for the comment, katya. :) My mum was a little uncertain at first, but I think she'll be all right as long as Nineveh stays in my bedroom! He can't fly, so that's a bonus.
Grey liked this
By katya_dog1
Yeah, I did not know that regular cockroaches could fly until I saw one.
By Grey
Back to original post...

There's not really all that much to report, to be honest. This time of year things tend to slow down and growth, especially, does so. I'm going to keep taking photos of the Mexican Pinguicula for the slideshow I'm working on, but you may get a sense of "déjà vu" when you see some of the images... please note that, as lighting changes, the quality of the images may not be overly good. Especially ones taken in the living room.

I notice that Misi hasn't had a place in this photo thread for a couple of weeks... now is her chance to make her way back in. She was a bit bitey this morning, and wanted to play, so chaos naturally ensued. When I reviewed this photo I thought "there is no better photo that describes Misi in one look." This is just... her.
But she still has playful face.
Kind of. She's a sweetie really, although at present she is sulking in the middle of the living room and made a strange squeaky, deflating balloon-ish growling sound when I petted her while Skatty was in the room. "No human, we only play when HE is not HERE!"

:roll:

As for the Mexican Pinguicula, here you go:
P. 'Weser'
P. 'Tina'

Something curious I've noticed is that the divisions growing in the sand, perlite and egg shell mixture seem to have grown more leaves than the ones left in the perlite; I'll have to trek through some of my older photos to see if they had more leaves upon planting (I chose the largest, healthiest divisions I could), but I do find it interesting.
Grey, Grey, Grey and 1 others liked this
By ironjaws
That look on Misi's face is like," I asked for mineral water NOT tap water." :lol:

You're right, Grey, this is the time of year when CP's slow their growth(for me at least). Interesting note about your pinguicula in the sand/perlite/eggshell mix. I'm very interested to learn what you find out.
By Grey
Back to original post...

We'll see how it goes, ironjaws, thank you. :D

So, with even less to report this time around, and a flat camera battery... I present to you the latest installment of "Mexican Pinguicula go succulent"!

P. 'Tina' - the leaves are elongating and losing their mucus.

P. 'Weser' - about the same as it was... I think.

And the Mexican Pinguicula tray...

I'm hoping to compile all these photos and get those slideshows on my website started today... I've realized that the backup photos I have are missing quite a number of Mexican Pinguicula photos; I started re-downloading them from this topic, getting halfway through, to realize that the files do not save correctly... oops. Photobucket to the rescue!
By Grey
Back to original post...

I took most of these photos yesterday, but was a little too unwell to upload them then just plain forgot. Whoops, sorry about that!

This photo was taken a few days ago; I always find it curious how cats can actually do this. What a great way to keep your feet warm! "Feet?! What feet?! I am hovercat! Zvvoooooooo~"

Skatty had a mild coughing fit yesterday and a much more violent one today; going to have to get in touch with the vets about it because his medication is supposed to be stopping that. Hrrrrrrm.

Misi had a bit of a cold and was sneezing very frequently, she seems better now because she's biting me again.

Also... new glasses! The screw to one of the nose pieces fell out but NEW GLASSES! (Old, top; new, bottom)
Haven't had a new pair like this for a good 3 years or so, apparently. I'm very grateful...

The Utri-grass (please see prior posts... not sure of date) has returned to the D. dielsiana tub. Maybe that's why these guys don't look so good?
Though it is coming up to winter and there's not as much sun. That didn't stop all the seeds I sowed germinating though. Baby dews everywhere!

Speaking of D. dielsiana seed...
I must have rehomed all of my old seed tubes, because I could not find them, so I used an old triops egg container I had lying around to hold the seed instead. Still got some to harvest from the (now cut) flower stalks, just haven't gotten around to it.

Time for the Mexican Pinguicula...
Beatrice (P. 'Weser') is really showing off "her" succulent leaf growth now.
Her babies, not so much.

The P. 'Tina' is a bit too preoccupied with dividing to go into succulent growth; the last Tina I had never once went into the succulent growth state, which was strange as I kept "her" in the same conditions as all the others. I've read that this can happen, and Mexican Pings can also randomly go succulent in the summer. Just when you think you've got them figured out. :lol:
Honestly though, it does look like her leaves are elongating, so there's hope yet! Her offspring is on its way.

And... I am a very excited Mexican Pinguicula keeper because... I... have... a rock!
A piece of ocean rock to be precise... that's apparently made out of limestone. And it has lots of holes. Woohoo! Now I just have to hope it absorbs water well. Looking forward to planting this out.
By tish
Some of your latest post on Pings got me interested in starting off getting 1 for myself. Remeber some time ago I asked about them growing on rocks. That was the time I was reading all the new post on pings haha.

Wish you success on the new rock getting them it pinged! :D
tish liked this
By Grey
I'm so pleased you're getting involved in the world of Pings, tish, they really are lovely plants and so easy to keep. Thank you for your well-wishes, I'm immensely excited to finally be getting to the point of growing them on a rock, I'll be sure to take regular photo updates. I still haven't tested how porous it is...

I'll probably plant one of the 'Tina' divisions and some of the smaller 'Weser' plantlets into the rock; if they settle in well, I may start to hunt for some new species and hybrids. I have two plants I'd really like to try hybridizing, but I haven't been able to locate one of them yet... all exciting!
By katya_dog1
ironjaws wrote:Whenever the nose piece thingy is missing on glasses it's really annoy-itating.
Hurts too!

Great pictures as always, Grey!
katya_dog1 liked this
Boy this is hard work

What's the going rate for plants in your area?

My biggest Sarracenia

I checked up on my plants today and noticed this t[…]

I'm kinda late to the party, but if you have a Tra[…]

I have a pot that has one nice sized ping and a sm[…]

Hi from FNQ.

Welcome Andrew what's been your favorite CP to gro[…]

howdy!

What's up guys! I've grown VFT for 3 years now. I[…]

Water Quality

I use these test strips https://www.amazon.com[…]

Smartest or bravest spider?

Looks like a Anole.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!