FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By kcbugs
Hi all,

I'm going to purchase some Sarrs and was wondering about the immediate care when I receive them. Do I need to fill the pitchers or will they fill on their own? Also, is there a particular species that is particularly easy to care for?

Thanks!
Jeff
By SFLguy
You do not need to fill them with water they produce what they need or in the case of Purpureas they can collect it, and that depends on what your temps are like throughout the year
SFLguy liked this
By kcbugs
SFLguy wrote:You do not need to fill them with water they produce what they need or in the case of Purpureas they can collect it, and that depends on what your temps are like throughout the year
Thanks SFLguy! I've always wondered, I assume that the shipper will empty the pitcher before shipping and have often wondered if re-filling was necessary.

I believe I'm in zone 5a, so hot summers (90F+ is normal, 100F+ not uncommon) and frigid winters (0F- not uncommon).
By Matt
All Sarracenia are relatively easy to care for. They can just be put in standing water, so long as the water level is kept just below the rhizome, and put in a bright sunny location. They can stand temperatures from freezing in the winter, up to over 100°F as long as they stay wet and it's not too dry. If it's very hot and dry, just give them some shade during the hottest parts of the day. I doubt you'll have that problem in KC though :)
Matt liked this
By kcbugs
Matt wrote:All Sarracenia are relatively easy to care for. They can just be put in standing water, so long as the water level is kept just below the rhizome, and put in a bright sunny location. They can stand temperatures from freezing in the winter, up to over 100°F as long as they stay wet and it's not too dry. If it's very hot and dry, just give them some shade during the hottest parts of the day. I doubt you'll have that problem in KC though :)
Thanks Matt! That's encouraging, and timely. As luck would have it, I wandered into Lowes yesterday to see if they had any rescuable CP's and ran into a very healthy purpurea. I'll post a pic in a bit. Also wandered into a threesome of VFT's that were nearly completely dry, but still green. They should easily bounce back.

Man, I've got the bug BAD! You two are the best out there, and I appreciate that you both are so willing to help out. Usually, he's got something in stock you don't and vice versa. Works out great.

Jeff
By kcbugs
Lowes Rescue!!

There were 2 rhizomes, and they look pretty healthy to me.

Got them under the T5's at the moment, will put it outside maybe in a month or so. Do these guys have pretty much the same reaction to re-potting as VFT's (shock)?

Rescued these little guys too.

They were in very dry media and their leaves are paper thin, but I think I got them just in time.
1637 expired and canceled

This request has expired and been canceled, seeds […]

May bonus

For May, it's going to be a carbon copy of April, […]

Flower stalks for sale

Updated list.

Anything I can do? How much light? Water, leave ba[…]

From my personal experience, I would not order fro[…]

Infact I just went to check on them and it looks l[…]

recently split a flytrap and the smaller one I got[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!