FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
I chuckled to myself when I came up with this name while lying in bed one night unable to sleep due to the pain of my recent bike wreck. FTS Evil Puppy -- what an oxymoron! Puppies are so cute and cuddly, how could they possibly be evil? If they are the spawn of a Werewolf Venus flytrap, I think that may qualify! :D

I'm really just calling dibs on the name at this point because I haven't chosen the actual seedling that will receive the name. Last winter, I sowed approximately 35 Werewolf seeds I obtained from a friend in Europe. Out of the 35, 13 of them look like the parent plant in some way. I'm going to grow them all out and then choose the most interesting one and name it:
FTS Evil Puppy

Below are some photos of the leading candidate for the name as I took it out of tissue culture. It was the largest and most vigorous seedling in TC. I'm hoping this translates to life in soil and I'm also hoping for some nice coloration, as Werewolf is mostly green. Several of the seedlings look like they may have better coloration than this one, so another plant could easily end up with this name.

In any case, here are some photos of the leading candidate to receive the name "FTS Evil Puppy":
Werewolf seedling1.JPG
Werewolf seedling1.JPG (142.54 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
Werewolf seedling2.JPG
Werewolf seedling2.JPG (155.15 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
Werewolf seedling3.JPG
Werewolf seedling3.JPG (125.65 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
I'm pretty excited about this little guy :mrgreen:
Matt, Matt, Matt and 5 others liked this
By Matt
MrsMuscipula wrote:VERY interesting! There is really no limit to how unique these plants can be.
So true! Just like people, there is an infinite amount of variety and uniqueness among Venus flytraps! I love cross-breeding and developing new cultivars :D
By Mufasa
haha dang, could you get some more photos with more open traps? most of them are closed in those photos

would love to see these other candidates too, maybe when they get older
By Matt
Dionae wrote:That clone would be killer with red traps.
I know, right! There is one of the 13 that looked to have good coloration coming out of TC. Hopefully it does so in soil.
SFLguy wrote:Is there a red werewolf?
No. Werewolf is a fairly new cultivar. As far as I know, there aren't any Werewolf seedlings or crosses out there yet.
Mufasa wrote:could you get some more photos with more open traps?
Once the plants get established in soil and grow "normal" traps (in tissue culture they don't grow the same as they do in soil), I'll take some more photos.
Mufasa wrote:would love to see these other candidates too, maybe when they get older
Yes indeed! I'll post photos of them as they grow out and look like "normal" flytraps.
By katya_dog1
Very nice!
katya_dog1 liked this
By Matt
Eric Millikin wrote:I'm curious if you know if that's hand-pollenated Werewolf x Werewolf? Or Werewolf x who knows whatever else was in that green house?
I'll email my friend to get clarification, but I'm pretty sure it's hand-pollinated Werewolf x Werewolf.
By David F
I'm just gonna say that it looks like my VFTs in the first few months of growing.

Not sure I find it that attractive, but it's good to see this hobby progress as always!

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!