FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Lee
When I saw the purple ambush I first thought it could be a cross between Dracula and G16, could that be the cross?

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2
By Matt
Lee wrote:When I saw the purple ambush I first thought it could be a cross between Dracula and G16, could that be the cross?
No. It came from Steve's seed in 2008 and he didn't grow Dracula or G16 at that time. It is almost certainly a Low Giant cross (growth habit and trap shape are almost identical). And the other parent might be Big Mouth or a red-leafed flytrap like Pink Venus or Royal Red (both of which Steve was growing at the time). It could also be a Low Giant x Low Giant, as Low Giant itself is capable of very nice coloration.

G16 is a wonderfully colored flytrap and has big traps and grows in a beautiful rosette. It is gorgeous and one of my favorites! Dracula tends to get long and lanky during the summer and has less reliable color than G16 or Purple Ambush.
By Lee
Oh right, I saw the vibrant line on the outside of the trap and thought that it had inherited that trait from the Dracula and the cilia and growth habit from the g16, either way it's a beautiful cultivar

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2
By happiness
Matt wrote:
Lee wrote:When I saw the purple ambush I first thought it could be a cross between Dracula and G16, could that be the cross?
No. It came from Steve's seed in 2008 and he didn't grow Dracula or G16 at that time. It is almost certainly a Low Giant cross (growth habit and trap shape are almost identical). And the other parent might be Big Mouth or a red-leafed flytrap like Pink Venus or Royal Red (both of which Steve was growing at the time). It could also be a Low Giant x Low Giant, as Low Giant itself is capable of very nice coloration.
So does this mean most/ all cultivars were once mixed pollinated seeds between different VFT's that made cool looking new VFTS? :shock: If that's the case, I'm definitely going to be doing some cross pollinating! :D
By Matt
happiness wrote:So does this mean most/ all cultivars were once mixed pollinated seeds between different VFT's that made cool looking new VFTS?
Hah, yes, of course! Where else would they have come from?
By happiness
Matt wrote:
happiness wrote:So does this mean most/ all cultivars were once mixed pollinated seeds between different VFT's that made cool looking new VFTS?
Hah, yes, of course! Where else would they have come from?
For some reason I thought they came from mixing chemicals and involved a lot of intelligence to create a new kind of VFT. :P Nice to know I can actually make new creations here at my own home. :o

Very first mini-bog! :D

VFT nice catch

Those crane flies are a pain. Contrary to popular […]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I have left ventrata cuttings outside till the nig[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1672. I'll PM[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

primaflora likes to be almost wet. I keep it in sh[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1671. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!