FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_D
Hello all--

One of the nice things about growing Venus Flytraps from seed is that one gets an interesting variety of plants, each one genetically unique. The Venus Flytrap on the left below is a nearly mature seedling from Matt's and my pollination and seed production program (aka "The Flytrap Store Nursery and Breeding Program" :) ). Matt has germinated this and many other seeds from our own hand-pollinated stock in sterile tissue culture containers, and ships batches of the seedlings to me for ex-vitro hardening (adapting to life outside the sterile container) and growing to maturity, while doing the same thing in his greenhouse in Oregon as well. So we have lots (hundreds) of unique Venus Flytraps from our own seeds (and some from seeds supplied by Bob Ziemer, a well-known, long-time carnivorous plant grower) and it is very interesting to watch them grow, develop and mature, expressing the unique form and coloration from their genetics.

This particular Venus Flytrap, one of my favorite seedlings so far, has grown faster than its siblings and has developed larger traps and deeper color. I photographed it next to a more typical Venus Flytrap for comparison. I'm very curious to see how it matures during this next growing season that begins in just a few weeks (in the northern hemisphere). I'm already starting to think of names for it. :)
FTS-seedling.jpg
FTS-seedling.jpg (72.52 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
Steve_D, Steve_D, Steve_D liked this
By Matt
That's definitely a nice one Steve! What great coloration! I too am excited to see how it does this growing season. Be sure to post periodic updates of it through out the growing season :)
Steve_D wrote:So we have lots (hundreds) of unique Venus Flytraps from our own seeds (and some from seeds supplied by Bob Ziemer, a well-known, long-time carnivorous plant grower)
I also got a couple hundred seeds from an ebay seller that specializes in flytraps. I've gotten a few interesting seedlings from his seed mix as well. I'll post photos of one, a sawtooth, in a bit.
By jht-union
It looks amazing to me!, keep it safe :) , and you can call it FTS "rojia real", rojo=red, real=royal
or maybe FTS "rojia royale" translated in spanish it would be roja real! :), another good name would be FTS "rojia teeth", or FTS "rojia royale teeth", FTS "royale Teeth", FTS "roeux royale", FTS " roeux teeth", and this is my best FTS "jht-union" :lol:

Good luck naming this awesome baby! :)
By Steve_D
jht-union wrote:and this is my best FTS "jht-union"
OK, I'll keep that name in mind. :D Thank you for suggesting the other names as well. :)
By Steve_D
Matt wrote:That's definitely a nice one Steve! What great coloration!
Matt, this is a plant you quickly spotted and pointed out in the greenhouse during your recent trip here, one that I hadn't paid much attention to among all the other seedlings. Since then though I have looked at it often, and repotted it a few days ago into a nice, deep pot (the one in the photo, 5.5 inches (14 centimeters) tall).

I love this little plant. :mrgreen:
By Matt
Steve_D wrote:Matt, this is a plant you quickly spotted and pointed out in the greenhouse during your recent trip here, one that I hadn't paid much attention to among all the other seedlings. Since then though I have looked at it often, and repotted it into a nice, deep pot (the one in the photo, 5.5 inches (14 centimeters) tall) a few days ago.
Ah, OK! That makes sense. I thought that the coir that it was planted in looked fresh and that it looked like the plant that was in the small thermoform that I really liked, but I didn't realize that you had repotted it into the taller thermoform.
Steve_D wrote:I love this little plant. :mrgreen:
Yeah, me too!
Matt wrote:I also got a couple hundred seeds from an ebay seller that specializes in flytraps. I've gotten a few interesting seedlings from his seed mix as well. I'll post photos of one, a sawtooth, in a bit.
Here are a few photos of the plant I mentioned before:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/anoth ... t9533.html
It's overcast and rainy here today and working with indoor lighting is a challenge, so the colors aren't quite right in the photos, but it should give people some idea of the characteristics of the plant.
By victor
OMG! It's traps are massive and like blood red!
By salty
Wondering if you have any new pics of this seedlings? Also, is that a normal plastic pot spray painted?
By Steve_D
salty wrote:Wondering if you have any new pics of this seedlings? Also, is that a normal plastic pot spray painted?
Yes, it's a thin black-plastic pot that I sprayed with a white paint that sticks well to plastic. The U.S. brand is Krylon Fusion spray paint. The colorful seedling in the photo recently was used for seed production, at which time the growth stalls. When it begins to grow well again I may post some more photos. It's a healthy plant, although not as colorful now as it was in the fall (which is often the case). :)
By Daniel_G
Steve, i assume the pots are painted white to reflect some of the sunlight away from the soil?

That's a very nice seedling you got! How about FTC Trap Of Blood?
New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Will go out in the mail tomorrow. :D

Very first mini-bog! :D

VFT nice catch

Those crane flies are a pain. Contrary to popular […]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I have left ventrata cuttings outside till the nig[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1672. I'll PM[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!