FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By sswitzer7198
Hello!

I am still fairly new at being a flytrap owner :) I was gifted my first flytrap a few weeks ago and I just received my Clayton’s Volcanic Red flytrap today from the flytrap store (as a side note this flytrap is so beautiful and I was amazed at how well the packaging was!)! I’m attaching photos of my first flytrap (the green one) and wanted to see if I could get feedback as to if it looks healthy? The soil isn’t as high as the Clayton Volcanic Red, I’m not sure if that is how it’s supposed to be since this flytrap has tall stalks. I have read that it’s supposed to be at the top of the pot, but I didn’t want to cover the stalks and the white part is under the soil. I’m hoping it has also been sufficiently watered, I don’t want to overwater it since it’s been cold so I usually let it stand in water for 30 minutes every 2-3 days or so. In the picture it can be seen that some of the flytraps are black, but almost every flytrap at least has specks of black. However, I do notice 2 new baby traps in the center. It’s also not drooping like a dying plant would so I’m assuming it’s just dormant! It’s had to stay in my basement near the window for a few days due to frost/freezing temperatures, I was able to get it out today for a few hours but will not be able to put it outside again until Monday due to the temperatures being in the 20’s until then.

Anyway….! I just wanted to see if it looked healthy :) Thanks in advance! :D
Attachments:
IMG_6237.jpeg
IMG_6237.jpeg (760.45 KiB) Viewed 496 times
IMG_6236.jpeg
IMG_6236.jpeg (1 MiB) Viewed 496 times
IMG_6235.jpeg
IMG_6235.jpeg (489.39 KiB) Viewed 496 times
IMG_6234.jpeg
IMG_6234.jpeg (617.8 KiB) Viewed 496 times
By MikeB
One issue: The growth point is covered with soil. You need to uncover it and keep it exposed to air (like the Purple Haze flytraps in these pics). If you leave the growth point covered, it often leads to crown rot.
andynorth liked this
By sswitzer7198
Thank you so much! :D

Does this look better? I want to make sure the stalks are supported but I guess during dormancy they are more likely to lean towards the soil than upright?

Thank you again! :D
Attachments:
IMG_6239.jpeg
IMG_6239.jpeg (722.37 KiB) Viewed 415 times
IMG_6238.jpeg
IMG_6238.jpeg (627.12 KiB) Viewed 415 times
By MikeB
That looks much better. You don't have to worry about supporting the stalks; they're pretty sturdy. Just make sure that the white part of the rhizome is covered.

FYI - If you want to add to your collection, that big pot has enough space for another 3 or 4 flytraps.
optique, sswitzer7198 liked this

on another division with one short root, all the l[…]

Finally

Those are beautiful! I’m wondering what ki[…]

I just want to confirm that this has been sent as […]

Agreed, no plant seed cross will ever breed tue du[…]

I’m looking to purchase some sarrs and I&r[…]

Sundew in forest

Moving amphibians around is a very bad idea. Tha[…]

Amazon and eBay are your friend. Check both for gr[…]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!