FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By PlantMom84
Hello beautiful people!
I have a question.... does this look like a dormant flytrap? Repotted it yesterday and hoping I didn't kill it. Repotted in carnivorous plant soil. Just got her Thursday from Walmart. She has never been outside in my care. She is in my east facing living room window.
TIA ImageImage

Sent from my SM-S136DL using Tapatalk

By Gary
If you're in the northern hemisphere, it's probably dormant. Most of mine, especially the smaller ones, turn black and crispy and die off right down to the nub. I'm surprised to see that much color.
By MikeB
Gary wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:22 am Most of mine, especially the smaller ones, turn black and crispy and die off right down to the nub.
That would be unusual for mine (sitting outside, under the open sky). They shed their old, worn-out, summer leaves and produce wide, low leaves for winter, but they never completely die back.
Gary wrote: I'm surprised to see that much color.
This is a greenhouse-grown plant, recently arrived at the store. It hasn't experienced life outdoors, let alone dormancy.
By Gary
I have one or two with a wide leaf, but my CPs live in the garage all winter - the snows have started and nights are too cold.
By optique
if that the one that had the flower stalk, flower = spring
MikeB liked this
By PlantMom84
optique wrote:if that the one that had the flower stalk, flower = spring
Yes it is

By andynorth
I can't help myself if I happen upon the ones in Walmart I have to buy. It has been a few years since I bought any from them as they do not carry them every year. They seem to die off a lot sooner than ones purchased elsewhere or grown from seed.
By alecStewart1
MikeB wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:30 am
Gary wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:22 am Most of mine, especially the smaller ones, turn black and crispy and die off right down to the nub.
That would be unusual for mine (sitting outside, under the open sky). They shed their old, worn-out, summer leaves and produce wide, low leaves for winter, but they never completely die back.
Most of mine mostly die back but then slowly make smaller leaves. But most of them don't have a ton of leaves, nor have made a bunch more, probably because this year, for everyone in the northern hemisphere, it's really cold.

VFTs are reliant plants, though (except when it comes to mold/fungi). They'll look kind of sad during winter, but they come right back in spring.
By PlantMom84
I live in West Virginia and it has been cloudy and cold since last week. Tomorrow is the only day this week that we are supposed to see sunshine. Hopefully next week is better.

By MikeB
alecStewart1 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:42 pm But most of them don't have a ton of leaves, nor have made a bunch more, probably because this year, for everyone in the northern hemisphere, it's really cold.
That depends on where you are in the northern hemisphere. In the U.S. alone, check out the weather forecasts for Orlando/Tampa/Miami, Florida and San Diego, California. If you want to see a "What is this 'winter' thing that you speak of?" forecast, look at San Juan, Puerto Rico.
wcrosman liked this

on another division with one short root, all the l[…]

Finally

Those are beautiful! I’m wondering what ki[…]

I just want to confirm that this has been sent as […]

Agreed, no plant seed cross will ever breed tue du[…]

I’m looking to purchase some sarrs and I&r[…]

Sundew in forest

Moving amphibians around is a very bad idea. Tha[…]

Amazon and eBay are your friend. Check both for gr[…]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!