FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
I just got my first pigns(P. gigantea. P. esseriana) in the mail(thanks to Benurmanii). He have me a mix of 1.2.1 peat,perlite and sand. After I get my pots setup do I just rest the ping on top or do I bury the roots. The other thing is do I put them in a tray of water like a sundew? I'm going to bag them for about a month before I put them open in my rack.

P.S I have some small gravel that is safe for CP. can I use that instead of the perlite?
By evenwind
First off, I'm far from the most experienced pingologist (pingulist?) here, so don't be surprised if any advice I give you is later corrected.

That said, I grow my pings is a pure mineral mix (turface, gravel) which I adapted from the mix that Ron West of Cascade Carnivores uses, so I don't see any problem substituting gravel for perlite.

Ideally, I try to bury whatever roots I can but the reality is that most of them wind up on the surface. The problem with pings is that once they're free of the soil, the leaves can quickly turn under, almost forming a cage under the plant - which means that the roots are suspended and out of contact with the media. I've found two solutions to this and I don't like either one - I can build the media into a cone that touches the roots while letting the leaves remained curled. Or, I can trim the leaf tips to root level and/or remove the offending leaves.

I don't like the mound building mostly for ascethic reasons. But also, it is hard to see whether the roots are sufficiently touching the soil with the leaves blocking the view. You have to kind of push the plant into the soil like one of those old manual orange juice makers and hope for the best. Anyway, that's my experience.

Removing/trimming the leaves sounds terrible. Two things are in its favor. Firstly, it lets you be sure that the roots are actually in contact with the soil. And two, I've found that newly planted pings tend to lose their bottom (mature) leaves from the stress, anyway. At least if you remove some leaves intact, you can try to get them to strike and then they don't get wasted.

Oh yeah, from what I understand of Ron West's growing technique, he puts his plants in fairly deep water, lets the water evaporate to almost nothing and then repeats. So that's what I do.
Attachments:
Most of my plants arrive with the leaves curled like this:
Most of my plants arrive with the leaves curled like this:
P3290374.JPG (31.61 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
evenwind, evenwind liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!