FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By boarderlib
Just my two cents on freezes now that I have a few free minutes. I think the biggest issue is in a small pot the freeze/thaw cycle occurs much more frequently. It freezes at night and thaws that morning usually shortly after the sun comes out. Whereas in ground it takes much longer to freeze over, and instead of thawing in a couple hours it takes days or weeks to thaw. It doesn't cycle no where near as often.

I've had mine out when it got down to 25°F and froze all of my pots solid. It did cause significant leave damage, but the plants all survived at least my fly traps did. I did lose two Sarrs that night though.

This year they are still currently outside, which we've had several nights dip to 28-29°F range. They are doing fine so far. It should be noted that they are in a plastic homemade greenhouse for now. It keeps the moisture from the air from settling on the plants, and freezing (frost). I've had to scrape ice off of my car windows in the morning already this year, so that should tell you it has got kind of chilly here. I'll be putting my plants in the fridge today.

Best of luck!

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
boarderlib liked this
By Big-Jack
Even though they are dormant my plants are still very slowly making new traps. Fed my B-52 a small spider today just because it was there and the trap closed and sealed up tight like a champ.

I would think that the TDS would be different in d[…]

Hello from New England

Greetings from another New Englanda’

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

8s, keep looking on Craig's List and any local &qu[…]

I heard that keeping your Venus fly trap outdoors […]

Input on Neps placement

Would you folks recommend putting my plants outdoo[…]

should be fine, springtails make their way into co[…]

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!