FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By Veronis
Each pellet is about 1.5mm diameter. The ones the adelae plantlet is eating are crushed bits of a betta pellet.

I did feed some pellets to the capensis, but I thought the shot with the crickets might be a little more interesting.
D. Capensis Narrow (cricket)
D. Capensis Narrow (cricket)
IMG_0279.jpg (48.45 KiB) Viewed 8477 times
D. Capensis Red (cricket)
D. Capensis Red (cricket)
IMG_0273.jpg (44.62 KiB) Viewed 8477 times
D. Adelae plantlet (betta pellet)
D. Adelae plantlet (betta pellet)
IMG_0286.jpg (77.16 KiB) Viewed 8477 times
D. Dielsiana from FlyTrapCare Store (betta pellet)
D. Dielsiana from FlyTrapCare Store (betta pellet)
IMG_0283.jpg (142.81 KiB) Viewed 8477 times
D. Spatulata from FlyTrapCare Store (can't see any, but it has betta pellets)
D. Spatulata from FlyTrapCare Store (can't see any, but it has betta pellets)
IMG_0287.jpg (75.98 KiB) Viewed 8477 times
Last edited by Veronis on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
By lemonlily
This is very cool. Do you think crushed pellets would have the plants absorb the nutrients better? Too bad I don't have a sundew on hand, but it seems like fun. I want to get a cape sundew.

I have some fish food stuff on hand though. Small pellets, which I don't know what type of fish it's for. Koi pellets, big pellets my fishies love. And some flakes, for uhh... What's that thing called? Oh yeah, those tropical fish food stuff, or something like that.

Can this be used on fly traps? Well, not now, because my plants are not even "hungry" yet. But I'd like to try feeding traps fish food.

Let us (more like me, actually) know how the experiment goes!
By Matt
Cool photos Veronis! I really like the quality of the macro shots you can get with your new camera. For a point and shoot camera, it's incredible!

FYI, I think you might have a couple of the photos mislabeled. I'm not sure what that baby sundew is in the third photo down, but it's not the D. dielsiana that I sent you (unless it was one of the bonus plants). And the one beneath that one you have labeled as D. adelae and that looks like one of the D. dielsiana plants that I sent you.
By Veronis
lemonlily wrote:This is very cool. Do you think crushed pellets would have the plants absorb the nutrients better?
The pellets I have are already really small so crushing them isn't necessary - the sundews will digest them entirely in 1-2 weeks (so less mess than insects too); betta pellets soften in water AND in sundew saliva ;). A lot of people use these tiny betta pellets on their sundews and they're said to be better than bugs due to all the nutrients packed into them - people get awesome results feeding sundew betta pellets (actually, some people feed their Neps and flytraps betta pellets too...for flytraps you have to moisten them in distilled water to soften them prior to feeding - tweezers required).

I use this stuff - PetSmart carries it, and I imagine any major pet or fish store probably does; it cost me $2.99 and will probably last me a year or more:
Aqueon Betta Food
Aqueon Betta Food
11400_400wh.jpg (9.63 KiB) Viewed 8470 times
You can also use fish flakes. I've never heard anyone saying to stay away from certain brands. The ones whose first ingredient is wheat flour or anything other than "fish meal" are generally lower quality.

Read this thread, too - a lot of great insight on feeding CP's in there - http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=117265

Matt wrote:FYI, I think you might have a couple of the photos mislabeled.
Oops, I did - I just fixed them. I had the adelae labeled dielsiana, and the dielsiana labeled adelae.
By lemonlily
What's FYI?

Eh heh heh heh heh... I got distracted by the pictures in that thread. I'm still deciding what sundew to get in the spring.

Looking at your pictures, I think maybe my "who-know's-what-that-is" fish food could have been betta pellets. They're a bit old, but they still smell fishy. Yum? Too bad I'm interested in the topic now, while the plants are about to go "dead." I'll try some experimenting next spring.
By lemonlily
Haha that's funny. "For your information, you labled your plants wrong." LOLLOLOLOLLLOLOL.
By Veronis
lemonlily wrote:Haha that's funny. "For your information, you labled your plants wrong." LOLLOLOLOLLLOLOL.
:) The filenames are numbers and I forgot which numbers were which plants.
By lemonlily
Sorry, I laugh at things that aren't funny at all. Actaully I don't even laugh, "LOLOLOLOL" is fun to say and type. Best of both worlds.
By Lawndude84
Hmm, I like this idea. I just built a terrarium for my tropicals so this would be a good way to give them a good meal in their home.
By Veronis
Lawndude84 wrote:Hmm, I like this idea. I just built a terrarium for my tropicals so this would be a good way to give them a good meal in their home.
Besides that, bug carcasses in a terrarium really stink up the place.

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!