FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By quatchi

Here's what mine look like so far. They're still getting over shock, and probably staying somewhat dormant due to lower temps. Today they're outside in full sun, and temps are probably close to about 10C (~50F).
By victor
Nice shots!!! It looks great!
victor liked this
By sekler
Hey guys,

My drosera regia seems to have recovered from transplanting. While most of its leaves died, some started secreting dew and a new leaf grew and is displaying lots of dew. However, the new leaf which grew is shorter than half of the lenght of all leaves which were on the plant when I got it.

Is this normal ? I guess the transplanting weakened the plant and with a few preys it will grow back long leaves again?

Thanks ! Sorry quatchi I did not mean to hijack your thread, but if yours goes through similar conditions, let me know!
sekler liked this
By sekler
Wow quatchi, is this a medium one? Mine looked way greener than that and all leaves or almost died after transplanting, its a young one though. Yours look nice!
sekler liked this
By RL7836
sekler wrote:My drosera regia seems to have recovered from transplanting. While most of its leaves died, some started secreting dew and a new leaf grew and is displaying lots of dew. However, the new leaf which grew is shorter than half of the lenght of all leaves which were on the plant when I got it.

Is this normal ? I guess the transplanting weakened the plant and with a few preys it will grow back long leaves again?
If the new leaf has lots of dew, it is working on being happy. It should start putting out leaves regularly - as one finishes unfolding another should be visible in the center of the plant starting to come out. Soon, each new leaf should be longer than the previous until the leaves are 5-6" long. Many plants will put out smaller leaves after being disturbed - this is quite normal. Cool temps and bright light should give you a healthy plant.
RL7836 liked this
By quatchi
Hey Sekler,

After some consultation with Rick from Keehn's, we both agreed that if I were to grow it outdoors, that a medium one would stand the highest chance of surviving. I did'nt mind paying a bit more for it if it does indeed last.

With regards to shipping shock, it's still trying to recover. Our temps out west are a bit warmer right now, so I think it's helping, but there's still the shock it's going through from the different conditions between Rick's greenhouse and my conditions. With warmer temps and more light it will do well.

Anyways, thanks for the kind words guys, and thanks RL7836 for the input! Any advice is invaluable. When I get enough experience, I want to help other people with this species in terms of getting a hold of it, as well as cultivating it. Thanks again!

Mauro
By victor
AlHope your plant does very well!!!
By quatchi
All right, just a quick update.
Things are looking good for my regia. It's starting to get over shipping shock, and its starting to dew up again. Also, new growth is starting to come up with the recent rise in temps. Pics to follow in a couple weeks
By quatchi
Hey guys, I haven't updated this in a while, I've been quite busy the past couple months with school, work, and life in general.

My regia has done quite well outside, in spite of some chilly weather, and dark, west coast days. I'll have some pictures soon. But I have a question for someone who might know this. Does temperature affect the degree to which the leaves unfurl? In sundewman's photo, the first picture shows a leaf unfurling in a regular way. But mine seems to mostly unfurl in an awkward way, and then the last inch or so of leaf never unfurls. I'm just wondering what this might be due to, and what I can do to promote the rest of the leaf to open up.

Also, one of my cuttings has struck, and I'll post some photos of it when I do everything else! Thanks guys!
By sekler
Hey man, glad to see that your Regia is doing fine! I cant help regarding your question but im curious to know as well!
By quatchi
Hey Sekler,

It seems that temperature would have an effect on the degree to which leaves open up. Over the past few days, it's been over 15 degrees C here, and the leaves seem to open up way more than when it was hovering around 10 degrees. It's looking great with some warmer weather!
By sekler
Hey quatchi, from what i got the king loves cooler temps but it should not go below about 13 degrees or the leaves will die in the long run..for my side it seems to have grown more under coolish tempsof about 20. Now the temperatures in my room are about 25 with over 70% humidity. Im not sure if it will like it as the new growth seemed shorter, i however havent feit in some time though. Everytime i do i pretty much kill the leaves which pisses me off....i know that leaves die too at approximately 30 degrees. It usually will come back from its roots eventually but it needs not to be kept too wet in that case!

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!