FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Gary
All the VFTs and Sarrs are living in the garage for the winter. Most of the VFTs really died back this year, by the time they're done I think they'll be very small nubs. The Sarrs are getting dry and crispy. A couple of the Sarr pots are deforming due to the size of the rhizomes, but everything gets repotted in the spring so I'll probably be dividing the biggest ones.
This was a good season!
By andynorth
Where are you located? I am thinking about Thanksgiving time I will pull all of mine in to garage. Letting them get good and rain soaked. Top watering from all this rain we are getting so have to leave bottom trays out. I continue to buy and win more plants(Thanks MikeB for the link to more ) and will place them in greenhouse for a few days before transferring outside and then to garage. I have 3 Sars from last year that may or may not survive so I am using the fridge method for them in hopes that a good cold dormancy will help them recover next season but it is not looking too promising.
By Gary
I'm in Prescott AZ. The days are still nice but the nights are getting cold. The plants made the dormancy decision, most of the VFTs started shriveling about a month ago and the Sarrs are mostly dried out. Seems to be a bit early compared to last year, but the plants know what they're doing.
By andynorth
Yea, Prescot does get chilly this time of year. I am leaving all my plants outside until around Thanksgiving . One of the reasons is some of them I just acquired and they need to get acclimated and ready for dormancy before I bring them in. I have a total of 7 Sars and a couple VFT's showing up this week that will go in grow tent for a few days and then outside. I have 5 that I purchased a couple weeks ago in the grow tent and they think it is spring and are producing new, healthy looking pitchers. I am sure they will get stunted after I place them outside but I am hoping they will come out very strong next Spring.
By tommyr
Mine have been in the fridge since mid October. Been doing it the past 16 years. Repotting will get done in Dec./Jan. then I'll start waking them up in February under a 4 foot florescent. Transition/harden off in April to the outdoors.
By Gary
We've had some nighttime temperatures in mid-20s recently. The garage stays in the 40s at the coldest, and the plants do well all winter. We sometimes get snow as late as Apr, so I have to let the plants tell me when to get them outside. Last year the VFTs started popping new leaves in February. I'm gonna have a lot of repotting to do, all of the Sarrs will need dividing. Labor of love!
CalCarn Hitchhiker

I agree with Shadow, it is too early to tell. How[…]

It isn't fully sealed, so it shouldn't be digestin[…]

So what would be the signs that I should not be us[…]

...maybe look at trading the VFT for a sundew. M[…]

Input on Neps placement

My traps and sundews do much better once they get[…]

SASE sent for April and May requests. Thanks Chef![…]

I have a Mars Hydro and 2 Vivosun 200W lights. The[…]

The above responses are OK, but for the faint of[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!