FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By uusa2000
I live Downtown st. Louis city. These 2 plants never woke up & died.
1st photo is in aug just bought
2nd 11/26/16 before dormancy
3rd photo (just rained)after dormancy 3/25/17.

I bought them separate from home depot in August '16. I un potted them and kept all the same medium on plants and plopped that in mosser lee sphagnum moss in bigger pot you see in photos. I was already told the medium looks too wet, so I made sure it was just moist and not soggy. I used the fridge method for dormancy, I just put it on top shelf from thanksgiving to march wen temps stopped freezing.

I put it outside where due to large building blocking morning sun it get full sun only from 14:00-18:30. We had couple not too bad late frost since then not back to back & it still seemed fine and Now daylight is longer @14:00-20:30.

I re potted all the way 2 weeks ago and put what was left of rhizomes in peat/perlite mix. And Last week, they "gave up the ghost". Its brown goo, no green.

I want to say its bad Mosser Lee but the ft were doing great before dormancy. See how it look in before photo

Maybe something from fridge? Fungus?

Did I not rinse ft off thoroughly ?

I'm hoping I just made a series of rookie mistakes.

Note: this is just a investigation to see what happened. The plants is long gone, dead.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
Last edited by uusa2000 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By deleted user
Are you sure it's dead? Check the rhizome to see if it's white. It's not rare for them to not wake up for even another month.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
By deleted user
uusa2000 wrote:Im sure Its gone. The rhizome was bigger and it kept rotting smaller and smaller. Now the last bit is nasty goo

I've never used a fridge for dormancy so I don't know about any common problems, I'd recommend just putting it in full sun and keep it moist and hope it will come back.

By uusa2000
rulen24 wrote:
uusa2000 wrote:Im sure Its gone. The rhizome was bigger and it kept rotting smaller and smaller. Now the last bit is nasty goo

I've never used a fridge for dormancy so I don't know about any common problems, I'd recommend just putting it in full sun and keep it moist and hope it will come back.

Its gone. I pulled it apart. Nothing. Aparantly it was rotting fast after it left the fridge

By uusa2000
Its just I tried too hard to prevent over watering during this time is what gets me. I don't see how it was too wet

By Nick
If you are seeing algae growth in your media, it is likely too wet. In addition, Mosser Lee is very poor media that is extremely inconsistent and can have decent amounts of solids in it even after rinsing.

More sun, less water.
Nick liked this
By boarderlib
I used a fridge dormancy this year, and everything was fine. Here's what I did. In December I unpotted all of my dionaea and sarrs. I cleaned all of the dead/ dying plant material away, yes including some green stuff that wad on its way to death. I got lots of quality LFSM, and rehydrated it in a hydrogen peroxide mixture. I thoroughly rinsed it in distilled water. I had four bowls set up, so one soak and three rises. I got my bags ready, and cleaned them with a cotton ball and hydrogen peroxide. I wrung the LFSM out, wrapped the roots and rhiozome in LFSM. Placed them in a labeled bag and into the fridge they went. I checked them for mold every couple weeks, and started pulling and potting about the third week of February into March. Not one lost plant.

This pic gives a pretty good idea of what I did.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
By uusa2000
boarderlib wrote:I used a fridge dormancy this year, and everything was fine. Here's what I did. In December I unpotted all of my dionaea and sarrs. I cleaned all of the dead/ dying plant material away, yes including some green stuff that wad on its way to death. I got lots of quality LFSM, and rehydrated it in a hydrogen peroxide mixture. I thoroughly rinsed it in distilled water. I had four bowls set up, so one soak and three rises. I got my bags ready, and cleaned them with a cotton ball and hydrogen peroxide. I wrung the LFSM out, wrapped the roots and rhiozome in LFSM. Placed them in a labeled bag and into the fridge they went. I checked them for mold every couple weeks, and started pulling and potting about the third week of February into March. Not one lost plant.

This pic gives a pretty good idea of what I did.

What would you use if you encounter mold, rot or fungus?

My plants didn't make it to spring. All I did was put the pots in the fridge with no cover or water tray.

By boarderlib
uusa2000 wrote: What would you use if you encounter mold, rot or fungus?

My plants didn't make it to spring. All I did was put the pots in the fridge with no cover or water tray.
My apologies I forgot one of the most important ingredients. I dashed a little cinnamon on top of everything once I was ready to close the bag. Then in the fridge they went.

Anytime I've encountered mold, I try a diluted hydrogen peroxide. If that doesn't work I try Neem. Then I have a 3 in 1 for anything that's to stubborn. That's a last resort though, because it does take a toll on the plants.

Thank you for asking I was sidetracked at work while trying to respond.

By tommyr
For VFTs, I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a sulphur based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3-4 months. Late winter around March I take them out, hit them again with some sulphur based fungicide and place in a south and west window until night time temps. Regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun.
By uusa2000
tommyr wrote:For VFTs, I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a sulphur based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3-4 months. Late winter around March I take them out, hit them again with some sulphur based fungicide and place in a south and west window until night time temps. Regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun.
What region do you live? Did you put entire pot in bag? I just put pot on top shelf without tray or any prep Thinking they'll be fine. I was wrong

By tommyr
uusa2000 wrote:
tommyr wrote:For VFTs, I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a sulphur based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3-4 months. Late winter around March I take them out, hit them again with some sulphur based fungicide and place in a south and west window until night time temps. Regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun.
What region do you live? Did you put entire pot in bag? I just put pot on top shelf without tray or any prep Thinking they'll be fine. I was wrong

N.Y. zone 6. I put the pots in the bags yes. If a pot is too big for the fridge I bare root them in the bag with some moist LFSM wrapped around the roots. Been doing this for about 10 years now.

Tom
By uusa2000
tommyr wrote:
uusa2000 wrote:

N.Y. zone 6. I put the pots in the bags yes. If a pot is too big for the fridge I bare root them in the bag with some moist LFSM wrapped around the roots. Been doing this for about 10 years now.

Tom
Did you have these issues with dormancy when you first started?

By tommyr
uusa2000 wrote: Did you have these issues with dormancy when you first started?
No, I did a bunch of research before growing them and starting dormancy. People don't do that enough it seems to me. It would be a big help to them if they did. It saves a lot of problems/headaches.

Tom
What is this thing?

There are a bunch of these squirming around in one[…]

IMG_4327.jpeg This is the pot in question.

sase sent again thank you Sent from my SM-S918U u[…]

What variety is that?

Boy this is hard work

What's the going rate for plants in your area?

My biggest Sarracenia

I checked up on my plants today and noticed this t[…]

I'm kinda late to the party, but if you have a Tra[…]

Hi from FNQ.

Welcome Andrew what's been your favorite CP to gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!