FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By sipecsus
ok ive heard that you should grow your carnivorous plants in a terrarium , but wont this cause mildew to form in your soil??? i have all my plants in pots outside and make sure that they always have water would putting my plants in a terrarium be good for my plants????
:roll:
By italo.americano
Hi Sipecsus,

This is just my personal opinion but I would not recommend a terrarium. Terrariums have a tendency to cook your plants, especially in the summertime, and you run the risk of a fungal infection and just like you stated mildew. Although Dionaea require humidity, they will get enough just sitting in a pot of rain or distilled water. It seem like the set up you have now for growing plants is good and I would just leave it alone.

I hope this help!

Giovanni
By linton
I had several Dionaea in a terrarium. I found that it got too hot too quickly if the sun hit it, and the growth that the plants put out was fairly weak - they did not adjust to the open air very well when removed from the terrarium. I have since potted my plants outside in full sun and vigor & color has improved vastly.
By Matt
Just want to throw my opinion in here as well. I would not recommend a terrarium for growing plants. Your plants will be healthiest growing outdoors. I do have a couple of terrariums that I use for germinating seeds and tissue culture, but otherwise all of my plants are grown outside. The reasons for not growing in a terrarium have already been well answered by Giovanni and Linton.
By lemonlily
It seems that plants on't get as much "fresh" air when they live in a terrarium. They get burned and mold has a big chance to live. Dionaea like things wet, but to dry a little bit after a while. Meaning they want you to water it many times but a little at a time. don't sog it and let it dry out! But if you use the tray method, theres no need to worry.
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!