FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Avant
Okay so recently i was gifted a "grow your own" Bonsai kit, and before diving right into it - instead i got on Google and started looking into what i needed to know to get started. The kit had a brief instruction manual but didn't give any information as to what 'species' it is (?).

After having the seeds in the soil for two weeks, and being in the fridge for about 3 weeks, i got one little seedling and returned the pot in a propogator to my bedroom window. I now have seven seedlings! I chose to repot them to separate them out a little so that the roots are nowhere near each other. I bought seven tiny little plastic plant pots to put them in individually. I know it's probably best to leave them to natural selection but I'd hate to see one die! (I have many more Bonsai seeds as well). The tallest one is JUST emerging from the top of the pot. I'm so excited to see how well they are progressing, especially not knowing what species it is. I'm sure i shall find out one day.

Since then I've sort of made a new hobby with plants and I now own two Dionaea Muscipula (Unsure which variety I have), one Capensis Alba, so many cactus plants, including the seven Bonsai seedlings, i have a Vaxer LED cultivator i got from IKEA, and a 125w CFL 6500k with a reflector. Currently my Dionaea's are under the CFL, and until i get a hygrometer I'm not sure if the humidity is right for them on my bedroom desk. I've managed to get the temperate just right, i think, about 70°F, and around 60°F at a night time. Then i have three of the Cacti under the Vaxer LEDs (both lights are on a 12-hour timer). On my windowsill which recieves morning sunlight for 4+ hours (i need to actually investigate this) i have the Capensis Alba and 5 other cacti i planted into a wide terracotta pot, and ofcourse the propogator with two pots of Bonsai seedlings.

I'm still new at growing anything, but I've taken alot of interest and am looking to better my setup. I know better would be outside. But i enjoy caring for them around my usual routine and not having to go outside to care for them, also being able to see them all so often and watching them grow and change (except the cactus, which haven't changed at all really). I'd like to try to mimic their natural habitat as much as possible, maybe a vivarium, and try figure out how to go about drainage. A desktop PC fan for air circulation or something?

Do i need something in place to better my Dionaea? They're just on the wooden frame my mate built to hang the reflector and light, with the light about 10" away from the top of the plants. I do open my window from time to time, and it does bring in its own food. I figured the sundew would be better on the window for now as my first dionaea isn't looking anywhere near as healthy as the other one, which is growing and colouring amazingly.

Just writing late at night to wind down before I go to sleep, and thought if i wrote down enough, someone could give help and advice. i figured I'm doing well, better now i spent a few hours on this forum reading through helpful threads. I shall update with pictures in the morning. Night all
By Nick
From what I have read, VFTs can adapt pretty well to different humidity/temperature conditions as long as they are kept fairly consistent, so I wouldn't worry too much unless you are experiencing significant fluctuations throughout the day.

You may need to incorporate a fan to supplement airflow, as mold/fungus can grow more easily indoors.

All VFTs belong to the species Dionaea muscipula. The seedlings you are growing may exhibit characteristics that mimic named cultivars, but since they are seed-grown VFTs, they can only be referred to as "seed-grown," "typical," or a unique name of your choosing. Cultivars such as 'B52,' 'Dente,' or 'Akai Ryu' can only be obtained as clones from a known mother plant.

I do not know a thing about artificial lighting, so someone else will have to chime in on that.
By boarderlib
VFT'S do not need extra humidity, most sundews do not need extra humidity. By closing your setup up you're creating extra headaches for yourself. I grow cephs, drosera, a couple neps, (VFT and sarr) seedlings all at ambient household humidity levels, which is about 40%. Once my seedlings are a year old they'll be kicked outside to sink or swim. They all grow great!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Avant
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the suggestion about the fan. I have noticed in my new VFT pot there are small soil flies, not sure what to do. A friend suggested to cover the topsoil with sand or perlite and water from the top to repress them. Not sure if this would apply to VFTs though as he has no experience with them.

Trying to find room for a fan may be difficult as i have my setup on top of my chest of drawers.

Trying to find a hygrometer so i can get a tough idea of the humidity in my room, and a TDS meter to help know what the state of my soil is in. I have algae/moss or something growing on the new VFT, also i didn't notice until i took it from under the light that it is sort of yellowish, and it was dark green when i bought it. Surely this can't be down to lack of light? I have it under the light 12 hours a day and about 8" away from the light. I've cut the flower stem about a week or two ago and already it is shooting another flower. I will probably plant that stem as well any try get another clone. My old VFT has grown a really long and wide thick waxy leaf, it's taken this trap ages to grow and it still hasn't opened yet.

I notice a mosquito trapped up in my sundew today, which i was happy about. I bought a watering tray yesterday which came with some sort of carpet that you moisten and place the plant pots on that. A few garden centers I've been to have use that method, but I'm not sure if they keep it in them permanently or not, i presume so as they have mossy on the top soil and have insects flying about them.

My new VFT has a new trap sprouting just after the flower stem which is probably 1/2 inch now. Some really nice colouration coming on, even the edges of the leaf are getting some nice dark redness to them.
By Codyb852
"Bonsai seeds" are a gimmick. I don't mean to rain on your parade but they are just normal seeds. There are certain species that are commonly grown as bonsai such as junipers, box woods, Chinese elm, Japanese maples. These are a few that are popular for bonsai because you can make a young tree look old with proper technique.
Growing bonsai from seed takes forever but it is rewarding. You can also look at sites like bonsai boy and buy a fairly mature tree that has had some initial training and styling done to it if you really want to get into the hobby and not wait for your seedling to grow for ten years before it resembles something like a bonsai.
I'm just making suggestions and I'm not turning up my nose to what your trying to do. Just know that there are no magic bonsai seeds and it will take a very long time.
By Avant
I do know this and I've done my fair bit of reading up on them. They seem to be doing really well with little looking after so far, but they are only about 3" tall at the moment. But growth is quick and they look so green and waxy already.

My other ones i presume ive overwatered as they was fine until i watered a few hours later they've wilted. Gonna take them ones out the propogator and let it air out a little.

If anyone has any idea as to what species this is if you can tell at this stage, I'd appreciate as the kit it came with gave no indication.
By Avant
Anyone understand what is happening here?

Gone yellowish and have wilted really bad.
By Codyb852
Make sure the soil drains well. It's not unusual for wilting after watering. Try to wait a little longer between watering if it persist.
As far as species goes, I have no idea. Once they mature some, you will have a better chance at identifying. If it's a kit from China you might just be growing weeds lol.
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!