FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By heathenpriest
Has anyone had any trouble using water from a dehumidifier? I picked one up at Goodwill for $20 thinking I'd use it as a source of distilled water, but then I noticed that the coils where the water condenses are copper, and apparently copper can be toxic to VFTs, or so I've read. I didn't know if that might be a problem, so I've just been testing it on one pot so far. The plants in that pot look rough from going into dormancy, of course, but otherwise seem OK. My normal winter water source has been a Pur filter, which I know leaves some minerals, so I thought the dehumidifier would be better if the copper isn't a problem.
Any opinions, educated or otherwise, about the copper coils? (I don't have a TDS meter, or I wouldn't be asking.)
By Steve_D
I'll bet it would be fine. It seems like a good experiment to try, and I would certainly try it myself on some plants if I were in a similar situation. I'm thinking that very little copper will get into the water, and comparison with your other plants over time will indicate whether there's any difference or not in growth and health.
By BenWilliam
I've done some testing of Airconditioner condensation run-off, which is essentially the same as a dehumidifier. I'm not sure if it's because it's still near new, but my condensation run-off sits around the same as my tap water, approx 42ppm TDS. This is fine for VFT's, however I don't bother collecting it especially for my VFT's anymore as tap water is just as easy to get.

In theory, dehumidifier water should be absolutely pure water. Maybe it will pay to just wash the coils a bit if they are accessible before you start using it's water for your VFT's. This should remove any contaminants. . . something I have not done with my airconditioner.
BenWilliam liked this
By masmith
I have been using dumidifier water since July and my plant is doing fine. I havent flushed out the pot with distilled water or anything.
masmith liked this
By heathenpriest
Thanks, Mark. Do you know if your dehumidifier has copper coils, or aluminum? I've used water from one with aluminum coils before, and it seemed to work fine, but the copper was what worried me.
By masmith
I can't see in there too well and I don't want to take it apart because it belongs to where I work but it look like copper tubing. I think you'll be ok.
Like Steve said it would be a good experiment but I'm 90% sure you are safe. ;)
By heathenpriest
Well, for now I'll continue just using that water on one pot, since I know from experience that water from my Pur filter is OK. It won't be getting any rainwater all winter, so if it's going to hurt it, I guess it should become obvious pretty soon.
1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I r[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

SASE mailed thank you

Looking for a Cephalotus

A guy in a plant club I'm in said he had some Nepe[…]

AI Generated Nepenthes

Hey look, it's those oddly neon bonsai seeds for s[…]

Gemmae

I suspect maxsea residue as the culprit on mine.[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!