FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By cbennett4041
I have had great success germinating three types of D. capensis seeds that I received from SDCPs. I have the pots of plants about three feet from a south facing bright window where they receive bright light, but no direct light. So far I've had them covered with translucent plastic lids. I have two questions:

Can I just take the lid off now that they've germinated? None of the plants have carnivorous leaves yet, so they are still quite young. Do I need to slowly ween them off of the lid, i.e. slowly reduce humidity? I figure since they are so young, they shouldn't crash from a drastic humidity change.

When can I leave them in direct light? In all three containers the plants are reaching hard for the light. I don't have a camera with a quality micro shot, but all the plants look like they are being "blown" towards the window, if you know what I'm saying. Definitely a comb over type look. Many of the "bigger" plants have a thin, strung out and whitish look towards their base (not that any of the plants are more then two or three mils long). I know I shouldn't leave them in direct light with the lid on, so I guess this question ties in with the previous.

Thanks!
By Oblivion
capensis are extremely hardy plants, they will take to less humidity no probs at all.

but looking at how tiny your are i'd wait another week or two until they start getting multiple leaves going, just to be sure.
By cbennett4041
hmmm... Well, I left them without a cover on today. So I can't do anything about it until after work.

The only reason I'm so anxious to remove the cover is so I can get them into more light. They are reaching hard for the light, and I was trying to oblige them.

What would you do? Let them reach and leave the lid on or take off the lid and get them in some direct light?
By JimsPlants
I would remove the lid but keep it placed on top of the pot with a small gap, if you can understand what i mean. So that more light can enter and keep some humidity and then after a couple of days make the gap larger and so on. untill after about 1 week you can completely remove it.

You could probably remove it completely and the capensis would probably survive but not worth the risk.

Just go easy on full sun for a while.

Order received. Your order number is 1665. I'll PM[…]

Nwpenthes grow tent help

What size is the grow tent? 56x56 at its base, an[…]

I know there's a few that need a complete dry peri[…]

Definitely a bladderwort. Very nice pot you have[…]

i dont have any sphagnum moss, is it essential for[…]

Cephalotus pitcher die off

I have a cephalotus that seems to have a lot of pi[…]

Just a short comment on the tent. Would Jade be[…]

When do I pot leaf pulls?

wait until the mother leaf is completely dry b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!