FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By KategoricalKarnivore
I took this leaf pull from a D. binata multifida f. extrema on April 29 and stuck it in a jar of distilled water. I noticed the first nubs growing on May 23. Now it has 20 or so plantlets on it. As this is my first attempt at a pull in water I figured I'd get some advice.

When would be the best time to try to get them to root?

And what is the best way to get them to root in your experience?

Thanks in advance. And if I get some growing I may just have to do a giveaway in the future.
Attachments:
IMG_4266.JPG
IMG_4266.JPG (156.34 KiB) Viewed 1732 times
By fattytuna
In my experience, they won't root if left in water. I would place the leaf on soaking wet peat or finely chopped sphagnum in a container. Keep the humidity up until the plants form proper leaves. I've found that the larger plantlets survive the best. If left in water too long, you risk the leaf rotting and the plantlets dying, although judging from the health of this leaf, i'd say there's no immediate risk.
fattytuna liked this
By nimbulan
I would move them as soon as possible, since the larger they get the more of a shock it will be to be removed from the water. You also may want to cut up that leaf a bit to separate all the plantlets.
nimbulan liked this
By Shadowtski
I grab a few strands of live Sphagnum, chop them up, and toss them in the water when I do the leaf cutting. The Sphagnum grows pretty quickly. When you get strikes from your cutting, start lowering the water level until the new plantlets are exposed on top. Continue lowering the water level until there's just a 1/16th - 1/8th inch of water on the bottom of your vessel. By now the Sphagnum should be colonizing your bowl pretty well. The plantlets should start growing roots into the Sphagnum and should be ready for painless transplantation into regular media in another month.

I just transplanted a couple of Drosera cloned this way. Within 24 hours the tentacles had Dewed up again. Almost no shock or trauma at all.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski, Lain liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!