FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By 17ptrombley
Hey guys,

As I'm last minute cramming in homework and studying for one of my last tests in AP Biology tomorrow, I came across cytokinins in a section about plant hormones/growth factors. I thought this was really interesting, and I wondered if diluting the distilled water with coconut milk could help speed up growth on cuttings and germinated seedlings? Or if it would add too many nutrients and destroy all possibilities of a strike? Any comments or guesses are appreciated. :)
The paragraph in my textbook introducing cytokinins
The paragraph in my textbook introducing cytokinins
20160407_223038.jpg (325.74 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
By Matt
17ptrombley wrote:I wondered if diluting the distilled water with coconut milk could help speed up growth on cuttings and germinated seedlings?
I'd guess at the right concentration, coconut milk would aid in making cuttings "strike" more often. Not sure about making seedlings grow more quickly...
Matt liked this
By DrNo7
In my experience, heat is the best factor in contributing to seedling growth. I may argue the addition of dilute coconut water may cause mold growth. Try researching auxin hormones (as they contribute to the growth of the cambium).
DrNo7 liked this
By 17ptrombley
DrNo7 wrote:In my experience, heat is the best factor in contributing to seedling growth. I may argue the addition of dilute coconut water may cause mold growth. Try researching auxin hormones (as they contribute to the growth of the cambium).
I've read about them, but I had no idea they were were available for purchase as plant supplements?
By DrNo7
Definitely: they sell auxin powder on Amazon.
DrNo7 liked this

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

He gets direct morning sun until noon/1pmish then […]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!