FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By McCWells
I live in a very rainy and humid environment, and I keep all my CPs outside in a little cage. They’ve been in there for a few months now and they are all thriving. I have been getting a lot of rain recently and am worrying about crown rot. Should I cover my CPs when it’s raining or just bring them inside entirely?
By Panman
What kind of plants are they, and what media do you have them potted in? If it is well draining, and they are not sitting in a water tray, I think they would be fine. Having it rain on them is a good thing as it flushes the soil and provides oxygen to the roots.
By McCWells
I have 4 Venus Fly Traps, and 2 Sarracenia. 2 of the vfts are in straight long fiber spaghnum and the other two are in some peat moss mix. Both the sars are In a peat mix. All the pots have drainage holes but they are sitting in water trays, though I make sure to dump out the water trays shortly after rain. The sars are almost always sitting in distilled water and the vfts get water only when the media is dry.
By McCWells
Here is a few pictures of my smallest sar
Attachments:
IMG_0422.jpeg
IMG_0422.jpeg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 1381 times
IMG_0423.jpeg
IMG_0423.jpeg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 1381 times
IMG_0424.jpeg
IMG_0424.jpeg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 1381 times
IMG_0420.jpeg
IMG_0420.jpeg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 1381 times
IMG_0421.jpeg
IMG_0421.jpeg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 1381 times
By Panman
They should be fine. Just be sure the flytraps don't sit in water for too long. If you don't get any breaks in the rain, you may want to remove them from the water trays so that they can drain faster.
McCWells liked this
By Barlapipas 6
Definitely don’t let your plants sit in water at all if it rains for long. Rain isn’t usually a problem but it might have pathogens that can rot the plants. If the plants have some kind of wound then it is very likely that they could rot. Many times I pulled leaves from my old VFTs and one time they got watered by rain. Soon one of the plants rotted and died. I personally don’t let them in the rain mostly for that reason but also because my rain is probably contaminated. So just keep in mind that rain might transfer pathogens that might rot the plants especially wounded ones.
McCWells liked this
By steve booth
Dont forget they are bog plants and should be treated as such, with the VFTs being in taller pots to keep the rhizomes above the water level. Sarracenia are fine with higher water levels but vary the levels and dont keep them inundated for more than a week otherwise the roots get no oxygen and they can start to rot.
Cheers
Steve
McCWells liked this
By Intheswamp
We’ve been having regular heavy rain for a week+. I got tired of emptying the trays that the flytraps sit in so I turned them upside down. The flytraps seemed to have perked up greatly. The sundews and sarrs are all enjoying the rains. :D
McCWells liked this

I decided to go with Cook’s as he had all of[…]

Zerowater pitcher. For cheaper than distilled wat[…]

however the same happens with sarracenia, if the[…]

I don't know what you have available but once you […]

Sundew in forest

Catfish won't eat mosquito larvae as the larvae ar[…]

Finally

Those are beautiful! I’m wondering what ki[…]

I just want to confirm that this has been sent as […]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!