FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Aza
Hi all

I am getting frustrated with not being able to get ideal conditions for my Drosera.
Can I please get some advice as I am just about to give up on these :(

I have a shelf set up in my bookcase with 5x 2ft T5 HO fittings, complete with nano reflectors.
First of all the temperature was far too high at about 95 degrees with humidity at 20%.

I added the fan to blow some air in, which dropped temp to about 80 degrees and pushed humidity up to about 40%.
I then purchased a humidifier to up the humidity.

I felt the temp was still too high so I added a layer of perspex to block the heat from the lights, and removed the humidifier.
This made the temp about 70 degrees and humidity 50%, which seemed just right as I started getting dew on my aliciae.
A few days later now and the dew has gone again.

From what I have read humidity is not a big issue, and also they can thrive in high temps.
So I am at a loss to what to do.
I think I have enough options to get the temp and humidity to a desired level now, so what should I aim for?

Here are some photos to check out.
As you can see the aliciae is turning red, which was totally green when I bought it, so I assume the light level is fine.
The spatulata is a new addition which came with loads of dew, but is losing more and more daily.
Both plants and producing new growth, but not enough dew.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

By Ras
I'd say move them away from the light about 2-4 inches and remove the fan
I think problem will be solved
you can see they are obviously getting plenty of light, but I think the fan is your problem
the only time a fan really works when pointed at sundews is in a terrarium with a humidifier in the terrarium
fans dry things too fast
you ever fallen asleep with a fan pointed at your face, woke up and your nose and mouth were completely dry? sometimes even get sore throats from it lol
basically the same thing, you would need a high amount of humidity for that fan to work pointed directly at them like that
and like I said you can see they are getting alot of light so moving them down a few inches will be less hot but you'll still get great color and you want some of that warmth
these guys like the warmer conditions as long as your not cooking them
I have spatulata and natalensis outside that go through weeks of 100-110 degree whether and do fine as long as its humid so if you had the temps around80- 90F with no fan at about 4-6 inches away from the light they should do great
spatulata likes a bit more moist soil too, I keep mine almost waterlogged but they dont need it to be super wet

gl!
By Aza
Thanks for the input.
I have removed the books, removed the perspex shelf, and turned off the fan.
I will see what kind of temps and humidity I get through the day like this, and let them settle in for a few weeks.

I'd like to see how normal traps look on that plan[…]

Hey everyone, I'm starting to sell the majority of[…]

Hi from FNQ.

Welcome. Be sure to check out the seedbank. Free s[…]

Question about flytraps

They should not die, unless you do something extre[…]

Drosera seeds in water?

Don't know about the peroxide, either. I have trie[…]

If you keep your plants outside, they will feed th[…]

You might also run into problems with the plant […]

Kinetin vs BAP ?

Can Kinetin be an adequate substitution for BA[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!