FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By vsw211
So I've had this seedgrown Burmannii "Giant Red" from Kimberly Au for some time, but while it produces copious amounts of flowers, the seed pods just sorta shrivel up and die after blooming, with no seeds. I have it with the rest of my tropical sundews under lights, and most of my other dew's have no problem seeding so I'm quite worried at this, especially since I only managed to raise one seedling of this plant to adulthood out of ~50 seeds.
By mo_carnivore
Could you give us pictures? It would probably be easy to tell if it was a hybrid or not with pictures. Burmannii have a very distinct shape.

I second Shadowtski's thought for feeding your sundew. I feed my drosera sessifolia and burmannii seedlings copiously almost every week. They respond with tons of flower stalks and plump seed pods.
By vsw211
Its with the rest of my tropicals/subtropicals, under LED Lights and sitting in aprox~1-4 inches of snowmelt water I have left over from last winter. I originally had 8 or so germinate but only one survived, possibly because I only started feeding the seedling until after 2-3 of them had died. Imo, if my other subtropicals are doing just fine there shouldn't be much of a problem in the lights or water. The soil is pure LFSM.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Sometimes they just don't produce seeds. I've had D capillaris put up stalks and not seed then a few months later the same plant makes seeds. My D. madagascariensis just flowered and made zero seeds and I know for a fact they are self fertile.
Or it could just be a sterile plant. It happens.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Needs more light and less food and it should get red.
By fattytuna
In nature, the plant is an annual so if you want it to survive past flowering, you must feed it regularly. No need to overdo it - just crush a betta pellet or some other form of food over one or two leaves a week, depending on how quickly it puts out new leaves. The plant should be self-fertile, i would just keep on persisting until you get some seed.
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!