FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By gavin417
I am building a 40gal potted nepenthes aquarium. In the winter it gets cold when i am not home so I have a heater idea that i would like some opinions on. I would take a 5gal glass aquarium filled with water and heat it with a fishtank heater. I would place this on the inside of my 40gal setup. Would this be enough to keep the tank heated? At night when I am away it would occasionally reach the upper forties, but usually it would stay above 50. Right now it is not a problem but when dreaded winter comes with its soul-crushing snow and frostbite-enducing cold it could turn into a problem. Also If this was to work is there some kind of aquatic CP that I would be able to grow year-round under nep lighting in this small tank? Possibly u. gibba or a waterwheel plant?
Thanks!
I also hate winter!
By nep lover
I have read a few articles about heating terrariums; one of the methods as you mentioned is the fish tank heater in a jar or tank. I have also read about using heating pads or heating rocks. It seems that everything has pro and cons...

I used a fish bowl heater in a Nalgene water bottle for a little bit, it was very unsightly. It worked though.

I would like to piggy back off of Gavins question, and ask what is the best way to heat a terrarium?
By floridadancerguy
I have heated my lowland terrarium with a fish tank heater inside a clear class cylinder vase. I just put it in the corner and added water whenever necessary. Worked great, I was able to nurse a sickly bical back to great health in no time.
By nep lover
Recently, I put a reptile heater pad on the back glass (outside, b/c water and the heater don’t get along!) of my terrarium. It operates at 100F, so I found one for a smaller tank (terrarium is 45-50 gallons, I am using a 25-30 gallon heater). It works great! My tank stays at 86-88 degrees and drops to 70-72 at night. Hopefully this helps!!

Calathea? Coleus? Caladium?

U.alpina?

Hey all, I've been trying to grow some u. alpina f[…]

I need help with my vft

Don't worry about the black spots. They should be […]

Hello everyone

I'm glad you are back!

1699 Request seed

Order received. Your order number is 1699. I'll PM[…]

A Thread for Pygmies

My understanding is that you ideally don't want […]

I'm growing some 'mixed Drosera' from the FTC seed[…]

Plant giveaway

As a token of appreciation to this wonderful commu[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!