FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By ModeratelyExcessive
Hey guys. Does anyone have a general guide of how much water to Captan powder I should use for my Sarr seedlings? I have 6 jars of ~20 seeds per jar that are getting some gray, fuzzy mold. :(
I got this bottle: http://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Products-M ... 830&sr=8-2
and the instructions don't give a ratio for just seeds or carnivorous plants. Even a rough estimate would help. I imagine I don't need a lot?

Thanks a ton! :D
By ModeratelyExcessive
Smallest dosage is half a tablespoon per gallon, largest is 2.5 Tbsp per 2.5 gallons. I doubt I'll even use a full gallon of water so I'm thinking of just mixing 1/4 or 1/8 into my spray bottle. Can too much be harmful to the seeds?
By Matt
ModeratelyExcessive wrote:Can too much be harmful to the seeds?
You know...when I first started growing flytraps and Sarracenia from seed, I too had some nasty gray mold spring up in a few of the pots. I treated them with fungicide and the mold went away. But the babies in those pots didn't grow as well. So yes, I think fungicide can be harmful to seeds and seedlings.

If I were to do it over again, I'd probably just repot them all. That's what I usually do now if I get algae, fungus or mold. And I also treat with daconil, now called Ortho max Garden Disease Control:
Matt, Matt liked this
By dantt99
I need some of that Matt :). My seeds from you are great, but a few are developing some green peat :lol:. I'm making a supply run tomorrow (pot for Sarracenia from FTS, peat, silica sand) and I need to get that. Do you think they'll carry it at Home Depot? :?
By Steve_D
Like Matt, I also use Daconil fungicide (I asked Matt what he uses after I was faced with a virulent fungus attack recently). I found the Daconil concentrate (30% chlorothalonil) at a True Value hardware store here in the United States.

One evidently has to be a little careful with dosage. After all, unlike insecticides which have little to no affect on plants, a fungicide is an herbicide; it can and does affect other plants, including (possibly) the ones we're trying to protect. I sprayed a moderate concentration of 2 teaspoons per gallon of water (I used only a portion of the gallon for a medium coating of spray on the plants), and while the Daconil did stop a rather vicious fungal attack recently, it also (at least I strongly suspect it was the cause) killed back most of the leaves of a small group of Drosera medusina I was growing (they are now putting up plenty of new leaf growth though). I'm guessing that the Drosera, whose leaves are used to sucking up anything that lands on them, ingested the Daconil, which normally sits on the surface of leaves and just gets the fungi that are trying to attack them.

At any rate, it might be a good idea to use moderate doses first, until one sees what effects (if any) the fungicide may have on one's plants. :)
Daconil (chlorothalonil) 30% concentrate
Daconil (chlorothalonil) 30% concentrate
daconil-concentrate2.jpg (11.94 KiB) Viewed 6384 times
Steve_D, Steve_D liked this
By dantt99
Wow, I never knew that the mixture level is so low! So if I were to fill up a 500 mL spray bottle with water mixed with that, it'd be only like 1/2 a teaspoon or something :D It must last awhile! :D
By Matt
Steve_D wrote:I sprayed a moderate concentration of 2 teaspoons per gallon of water
I should have mentioned it in my previous post, but that's the same concentration of Daconil that I use; 2 tsp/gallon.
By dantt99
That is very low! That bottle must last years! I'm only filling up a 500 mL spray bottle, so maybe a half teaspoon :lol:?
By victor
Here's a video from sarracenia northwest that talks about safe
fungusides and how much you should give.

http://www.youtube.com/sarracenianorthw ... fVUrMaGjVs

@InTheSwamp I have heard that idiom, and I definit[…]

Lyra request U. calcyfida Bonus N. + finlaysoniana[…]

1 year old cape!

I would really be interested in getting some see[…]

Lee’s Botanical Gardens has some drosera for[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not s[…]

Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!