FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By madrone
I've been thinking of adding some to my bog growing areas (in its own pot as I understand they can be spreaders), but I'm wondering if any one is currently growing a pot of their own and has experiences to share. I did a quick forum search and got some outdated hits and a few matches to grow lists, but I'm just throwing it out there for input/culture tips/ do's-don'ts/etc.
By ChefDean
I did a search of "Stylidium" and got 10 pages of hits. Most seem to be members seeking info, but there were some that said they were growing it, I believe Nepenthes0260 was one. He's really generous with his information and lives in your state. He lives on the other side of your state, but still....
🎶 Matchmaker, Matchmaker, make me a match 🎶
Panman liked this
By DragonsEye
Had one several yrs ago in a pot. Did well until, while visiting family, the pot completely dried out … and that was the end. Was a very easy plant on my plant stand.
By madrone
DragonsEye wrote:Did well until ...
I've done that myself to a few CPs that I didn't check the reservoirs on frequently enough. Was your plant stand inside or outside? I've read they are pretty forgiving temperature-wise...
By NightRaider
It's a weed even more than any utricularia I've had in my trays due to their very extensive root systems. And yes, they're definitely temperature-tolerant. I tried to kill some out of a pot by leaving it outside all winter, but the stuff couldn't have cared less about getting frozen solid. Finally just had to pick it out of that pot by hand when spring rolled around to keep it from choking out the flytrap it was with. Only weaknesses: it does seem to die back more than most of my plants if you left the trays run dry at all, and it can be a little bad to etiolate in low light.
By madrone
NightRaider wrote:It's a weed even more than any utricularia I've had
Thank you for this info - it sounds like it's safest to have this in its own tray, and to watch for seed pods to keep it in check. I'm thinking of putting up a trade post as it sounds like its a plant I can put in my outdoor space, rather than my indoor space (which has too many plants in it as it is).
By DragonsEye
madrone wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:23 pmI've done that myself to a few CPs that I didn't check the reservoirs on frequently enough. Was your plant stand inside or outside? I've read they are pretty forgiving temperature-wise...
Indoors. I'm an apt dweller and live in the "Great White North". Nothing can survive a winter on my balcony -- not even Sarr. purpurea. The freeze-thaw swings are just too frequent and far too dramatic. So some of my plants get to summer on my balcony, but any that I want to have for more than a summer have to winter indoors (which is usually around 8months out of the year).
madrone liked this
By madrone
DragonsEye wrote:winter indoors (which is usually around 8months out of the year).
Yes, the 8-month winter - I hear you! Ours is the 8-month dreary, wet, dim, turn into slime mold season. I am thankful that temps are moderate for our latitude and that I can have outside plants, because inside (after September) those shelves, tables, really-any-flat-surface is PACKED.

Would I be allowed to request seeds for both April[…]

I have an indoor grow light setup I'd like to try […]

im not sure as the door isnt on yet (my dads makin[…]

SASE is airborne

Thank you very much. I thought it might be that bu[…]

One contrary thought on pots and saucers: If you s[…]

I decided to go with Cook’s as he had all of[…]

however the same happens with sarracenia, if the[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!