FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By pandaking666
Hello all,
I am in the Houston area where right now its 100+ degrees outside. do any of yall have any tips on keeping carnies in this heat. I brought in most of my collection inside where its 75 but any tips coul be appreciated. Also D.capenmsis albinos don't do well in the heat im down to 1 left.
By Gary
I'm in central AZ, we're in the high 80s/low 90s. Rh is single digits until the monsoons show up.
I had to bring my Capes and a couple of VFTs inside, the heat and low humidity was killing them. However, I have several VFTs in a large deep undrained planter that are doing well in the sun. The Sarrs are doing great, but I do mist them in the evening. I have a pair of Purp hybrids that were starting to dry out in direct sun, so I put them under a translucent glass-topped table to protect from the midday sun. They're much happier now, all of the browning has revived. Can't wait for the rains.
I should mention that the VFTs that are doing well with the dry, hot weather were placed in the sun straight out of dormancy about 3 months ago. I think it was Panman that advised me to do that and it paid off. The VFTs that are now under the grow lights were death cube rescues that are being acclimated. I'm going to let them regain some strength before putting them outside again. The sundews are coming back, but slowly. They got scorched pretty badly.
MikeB liked this
By Gary
We're in the low 90s here in central AZ today and will be for a while. I had to bring the Purp hybrids into the shade and mist them, those thin leaves will get crispy fast. The VFTs and other Sarrs are acclimated but I'm watching them. It's seriously strong sun today.
By Gary
I found some thin foam table placemats and put them under the Sarr water trays. The water temp dropped from ~105 °F to ~85 °F. The Trex deck planks are dark brown and get bloody hot in the AZ summer. Here's a pic:
0703230914a~2.jpg
0703230914a~2.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 1092 times
I got the mats at a Dollar Tree store.

I decided to go with Cook’s as he had all of[…]

Zerowater pitcher. For cheaper than distilled wat[…]

however the same happens with sarracenia, if the[…]

I don't know what you have available but once you […]

Sundew in forest

Catfish won't eat mosquito larvae as the larvae ar[…]

Finally

Those are beautiful! I’m wondering what ki[…]

I just want to confirm that this has been sent as […]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!