FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By -Darrell-
Anyone know if the all red or all maroon VFTs require more blue light to grow better? The plant must not be using
much of the red spectrum because the color of the plant we see is the part of the spectrum not being absorbed if I understand correctly.
By SnapSnapIOM
Are you talking about indoor grow lights or sunlight ?

Am going to guess its grow lights 6500k is the correct colour temp that you should use for any Venus fly trap regardless of type

If you want best for your plant through the summer leave it in full sun and dont worry about spectrum absorption this just over complicates simple things :)
By Steve_D
-Darrell- wrote:Anyone know if the all red or all maroon VFTs require more blue light to grow better?
I think that the red coloration is normally protection from very intense light, so red Venus Flytraps usually seem to need more or brighter light to grow as well as the green-leafed Flytraps. If anything, since red is such an important part of the photosynthetic spectrum, I would think that red-leaved Venus Flytraps would need more of the red spectrum, not less. Just my thoughts-- :)
By -Darrell-
Steve_D wrote:
-Darrell- wrote:Anyone know if the all red or all maroon VFTs require more blue light to grow better?
I think that the red coloration is normally protection from very intense light, so red Venus Flytraps usually seem to need more or brighter light to grow as well as the green-leafed Flytraps. If anything, since red is such an important part of the photosynthetic spectrum, I would think that red-leaved Venus Flytraps would need more of the red spectrum, not less. Just my thoughts-- :)
That does make sense.
Sort of how people with darker skin need more sunlight to produce the same amount of vitamin D as those with lighter skin.

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!