FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By cbennett4041
I've repotted VFT several times, but was curious as to what you guys do. I just repotted four flourishing flytraps with new media into the same 12" planter they came from. I was just replacing the pure LFS with a mix of peat, sand, and perlite (3:2:1 proportion), top dressed with dead LFS. I was scared of letting the plants enter dormancy with the super wet long fibered moss. These plant sit on the south side of my house and get sun literally ALL day. I've gotta tell ya, this things look HEALTHY! If I would have had my camera I would have taken pictures.

After planting, I typically water the little guys heavily. But I've only ever repotted them out of death cubes, in which case I figured the extra moisture would help the transition via humidity, etc. I don't think I want to keep this new soil mix that wet, though. The previous LFS media was REALLY wet though. Thoughts?

Also, since these plants are acclimated to the sun and ambient weather, can I just throw them back out in the sun all day? I was scared to do so before the roots settled in, but I packed them down firmly (but not forcefully). I was planning on leaving themin bright but not direct light (north facing front porch with a roof).

Thoughts?
By 95slvrZ28
I typically give the plants a little extra water right after I repot (or pot for the first time...) to keep the medium saturated for a short period of time (really no more than a day or two) and then I go back to the normal "moist, not wet" watering regime. Remember to keep a close eye on your plants since the new mixture drains much better and thus it will dry faster.

I would just set the plants right back outside if I were you. They'll go through a small period of shock (~2 weeks) and re-establish their roots and continue doing their plant things...
95slvrZ28 liked this
By cbennett4041
Copy that... I'm used to checking on them twice a day (around 7:00AM and 6:00PM) and hardly ever had to add water with the other mix. I'm sure those times will be frequent enough with the new mix as well.

They are pretty damp now, so I believe I'll water them a little in the morning and then go back to the regular regimen.

So you think I should put them in the sun all day tomorrow? Its going to be 90F+ here tomorrow, no clouds.
By 95slvrZ28
If the plants are used to full outdoor sun (no windows to filter out UV etc.) 90F+ and not clouds sounds like a VFTs dream to me!
Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

I am definitely not with it today I can’t fi[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!