FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Starchy
I have 2 VFTs that are in separate pots of the same type. They are 7.5 inches in diameter, and 7 inches deep. I always water from the top (during the summer I will sometimes use the tray method during the day to prevent overheating), and only when my top-coat LFS appears dry. The rest of my media is 3:2:1 peat, sand, perlite. My typical (in the red pot) was purchased at a Lowes in Wilmington, NC last May (2012), and my Jaws (in the green pot) I purchased from FTS last June (2012). Both were planted in their pots in late June/early July 2012, and I am now seeing roots coming out of the drainage holes of each pot. Both VFTs are adults of flowering size.

Here are some photos:

Typical

Jaws

I plan to leave them alone until the end of the growing season and repot them right before dormancy. I know it is more ideal to repot just before the growing season, but I fear the exposed roots facing a cold winter in Massachusetts may be too much. I have received mixed comments from people I have already asked when they think. Let me know if you have any ideas that I should consider other than what I am already thinking.

Thanks in advance.
By tish
Good growth you have. Means you are keeping them in good condition.

Anyway I'm green but I think its better to repot in growing season as it recovers quickly and able to prepare for dormancy.

Fingered from my Google Nexus S
By LAKJP
Okay. I was wondering because you said something like Jaws clones are more valuable than their seeds.
By Starchy
LAKJP wrote:Okay. I was wondering because you said something like Jaws clones are more valuable than their seeds.
Yes, because if you grow from seed, they will be similar to a Jaws cultivar, but shouldn't be named one (they would basically become a really cool typical). Only vegetative propagation (cloning) can result in true naming of most cultivars. So leaf pullings, flower stalk strikes, etc. can be named Jaws.
By Starchy
Okay, so after several weeks of searching, I think I might have found a suitable new pot for my VFTs. My restrictions prevent my from getting anything greater in diameter from what I already have due to where I put my VFTs during dormancy (on a south-facing windowsill in my shed). So, these pots are 13.5 inches tall, 7.5 inches in diameter at the top and 5 inches at the bottom (perfect!).
http://hydrobuilder.com/novelty-13-5-na ... -grey.html

I am wondering what everyone thinks of the description of the structure of the pot:
These high quality planters are made from a proprietary blend of resin materials, with a significant amount of natural stone.
Anyone think this could be harmful to the PPM of the soil's mineral content?

FYI, I found these planters from an AD on this forum. :)
By Kevonicus
I think that pot structure looks perfect. Your guess is as good as mine as to the mineral content. You could always soak it in ro/DI water and test the PPM to see if anything is leeching out significantly.
By xr280xr
Wow, the Jaws is a specimen! They look great.

Primuliflora is a warm temperate and may require a[…]

Nwpenthes grow tent help

I’ve seen people mention putting ice in with[…]

Cephalotus pitcher die off

I have a cephalotus that seems to have a lot of pi[…]

Just a short comment on the tent. Would Jade be[…]

When do I pot leaf pulls?

wait until the mother leaf is completely dry b[…]

Hello from the California!

Welcome. Be sure to check out the seedbank.

I pass on winning =) i just wanted to post a photo[…]

1 year old cape!

Wow! I wonder if you've found a plant with giganti[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!