FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
I'm a Drosera guy. I only have one Nepenthes now. I've had others but given them away. My current one is a hybrid of N. ampullaria and N. ventricosa. It is called "Lady Luck" in America and "Bloody Mary" in other countries. It's the closest thing to a bulletproof Nepenthes I have found. It's the Nepenthes version of a Drosera capensis, happy in a wide range of temperature & humidity, tolerant of cultivation errors, and difficult to kill.

I've had this one since the beginning of May of 2016. I bought it for $3.00 in the clearance, ready to throw out bin at a garden center. It had no pitchers, no leaves, and the growing point was a soft rotted mushy grey. How could I resist a challenge like that? I potted it in some long fiber Sphagnum Moss and stuck it in a corner of a 10 Gallon empty fish tank in my living room. I top watered it with distilled water. I lit it with a 2 tube T-12 fluorescent fixture. In June, I moved it outside and left it in open shade all Summer. This fall I moved it into my basement where it sits under a MarsHydro 300 LED fixture. It has survived and grown into a nice looking plant with at least one extra basal growth point in addition to the original. The pitchers turn a nice Red color under adequate light. The leaves even pick up a nice Reddish tint under my current light setup. The following pictures were illuminated by on-camera flash and are pretty accurate. When you look at the plant under LED lighting, it looks completely Red.

This hybrid was developed by Borneo Exotics, I believe. It was bred to survive in typical household temperature and humidity and be grown by a buyer with no expertise in Nepenthes cultivation. Outside it has seen temperatures ranging from 50 to 95 and inside has been subjected to temperatures from 48 to 80 degrees with no ill effects.

It's nothing fancy or exotic but I like this one. It's a true survivor.

Good growing,
Mike

Small_DSC06939.jpg
Small_DSC06939.jpg (71.13 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
Small_DSC06940.jpg
Small_DSC06940.jpg (64.39 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
Small_DSC06937.jpg
Small_DSC06937.jpg (112.29 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
Shadowtski liked this
By Shadowtski
I have a wire shelf rack in my basement. 72 tall by 48 wide by 18 deep. They get daytime temps up to 75 or so. At night the basement gets down around 55 degrees. Humidity varies between 75% at night to 30% during the day. During the Winter, it stays there. In June, usually, I move plants outside for the Summer. I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin where we get very cold Winters and pretty hot Summers.

Good growing,
Mike
By Wikiwakawakawee
All N. Ampullaria are my favorite. I have a couple different varieties right now at my parents house and they're starting to throw out a ton of basal shoots with cute little pitchers everywhere. :D
Attachments:
N. Ampullaria Lime Twist.jpg
N. Ampullaria Lime Twist.jpg (825.91 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
N. Ampullaria NE Clone.jpg
N. Ampullaria NE Clone.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 4474 times
By minimao
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:I like anything that either looks like a toilet, or has "teeth"
Lol that made me laugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Bhart90
Any that consider to pitcher for me.
By Bluemoon
Campanulata is probably my favorite, though mine has yet to pitcher...I like bellii too but it's not doing as well
By tannerm
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:All N. Ampullaria are my favorite. I have a couple different varieties right now at my parents house and they're starting to throw out a ton of basal shoots with cute little pitchers everywhere. :D
I'd get one, but they're low lands. They look so cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!