FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By parker679
4/10/12:Here is an updated picture of the pot, this is the area in the larger red square in the original pic. This is only some of what sprouted. I pulled a bunch of the Drosera and threw them in a window box which you can see in the second picture below. Also, now that they've grown these clearly did not come from the plant I purchased, these are a red variety.

Here is a zoomed out shot to give an idea of how it's changed in the last year. This is from the opposite side as the original below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before last year's dormancy I moved my plants from containers in a tray of water to a homemade bog. Well we've been having quite a bit of rain lately so when it let up I went to check on my guys. And behold, dozens of tiny drosera plants.

When I initially purchased the drosera it had a flower that quickly died on me before seeding, that was about a year ago. The only thing I can think of is that there may have been seeds in the media when I purchased it and they washed into the surrounding area.

Here is the bog with the area of growth indicated.
Bog garden with are of new plants indicated.
Bog garden with are of new plants indicated.
bog garden zones.JPG (177.7 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
Here is a close up of the area.
Here is a closeup of the area.
Here is a closeup of the area.
drosera babies.JPG (133.89 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
Here are some macro shots of the babies.
drosera closeup.JPG
drosera closeup.JPG (43.07 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
drosera closeup2.JPG
drosera closeup2.JPG (34.68 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
Last edited by parker679 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Steve_D
Wow. Neat! That's a nice, vigorous looking group of Drosera popping up everywhere in the minibog. Please post updates with photos as the growing season progresses, and thanks for sharing this. :D
By parker679
I'll keep a photo log of the growth.

Needless to say I was pretty excited to see all those little guys.

The bog is in a large copper container that was at the house when we purchased it. I lined it with several layers of plastic. The only drainage is 3 pvc pipes I installed 6 inches from the top to keep it from over flowing in the rains. The upside down plastic pot you see behind the Sarr. is actually the top of a stack of them that go most of the way to the bottom; that's how I add water when the level drops too much.
By sekler
Wow, definitely good job !

Surprises like that are quite cool :)
By victor
Very nice bod garden!!!
By Sky924
Great Job and awesome garden!! "Life will find a way" Jurassic park
By pieguy452
Great mini bog, your plants look very nice in them :)
By parker679
pieguy452 wrote:Great mini bog, your plants look very nice in them :)

Thanks, it's been a few years and so far everything does really well with minimal intervention from me. I only water them. I am fortunate to live in a location that has weather that is very favorable to the temperate CP's.

Also, I added a picture to the original post that gives a zoomed out view of the bog as it looks currently.
Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

I am definitely not with it today I can’t fi[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!